oops, fuel in the oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops, fuel in the oil

I was going to push the bike (82 GS 650 GL) in garage for the night when I noticed a nice wet spot beneath it and fuel trickling from the air box drain tube. The petcock was in a position between "prime" and "on" instead of "on". Must have been on my way home when I filled up with gas and switched from "reserve" to "on" but overshot.

I thought I would just fire it up drive around a little and try to burn up some of the fuel hanging out in the carbs and airbox. Forgot to realize that there also might be fuel in the oil from leaking through the cylinders. :? Anyhow I drove about 7-10 minutes before it occured to me to check the oil level. Brought it back to the garage, put it on the center stand, waited a few minutes and looked in the sight glass. Sure enough oil level is now higher than sight glass. 8O Promptly drained the oil (now very thin) and am leaving the drain plugs out for the night.

The question is, what if any damage may have been done and what to do now? Will the oil filter need to be changed? Was the clutch possibly damaged? Can I just fill it up with oil and drive around for a while and change it again soon? During the ride the bike operated normally and I didn't notice any change in engine noise or performance. I do realize that I need to check out the needle valves and seats, I don't think this should happen even when the petcock is in the "prime" position.
    Ryan

Change both oil and filter and run the bike for a few days then change the oil again. Dink had this happen to him a little while back, there was no damage done.

Comment

A testament to the durability of our beloved GS's

Comment

If it was able to run ok, likely no damage done.

If it was really full you would have had a hydraulic lock (picture a piston tryin to go down but liquid oil and petrol is in the way..this can also happen if the cylinder fills with petrol..results to horrible to contemplate!)

Follow the good Aussie advice above If nothing else this will clean out the engine!

Comment

Working...
        X