Bogging at around 6k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging at around 6k

Took my bike out in the neighborhood, and wound 1st up, started bogging bad at 6k. So I guess I am going to have to dig into the carbs. The bike has a Supertrapp without any of the discs installed, and PODs, so I am thinking the jetting is probably not setup right. I guess while I have them off, I will get the o-rings for the intake side. Should I just get a Stage 2 kit, and redo them?? Help!

Clean & Dip the carbs, install new intake O rings, buy a DynoJet kit for it if it doesn't have one (best with K&N pods not foam or cheap ones) & away you go... Almost guaranteed success!

That's what I did on recommendation here.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Don't run pods without jetting the bike properly. You will hole a piston. Up the main jet at least four sizes (ex 110-120) and shim the needle.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks, I look at the main jet to see what size it is.

Comment

If it's "bogging bad" at those RPM then you've prob. got a blocked main jet.

If you want to cut out a lot of mucking around trying to come up with a main jet size that's 'in the ball park' for your engine's current state of tune, then I recommend getting a fuel check by a dyno operator. That will tell you the air-fuel ratio across the rev-range, and an experienced operator should be able to advise on what size main jet to try next.

All the best!

Comment

bogginb

HELLO, have you replaced or set yout points Yet.Unless youve done carbs before,and have checked for elc,connections, timeing.diagnossing. vacume leaks 1/2 broke wire I take youve not owned bike long. good luck. SAN

Comment

Originally posted by SAN View Post
              HELLO, have you replaced or set yout points Yet.Unless youve done carbs before,and have checked for elc,connections, timeing.diagnossing. vacume leaks 1/2 broke wire I take youve not owned bike long. good luck. SAN
              No, and you are right, I have not had the bike too long. It almost sounds like it is missing. I will pull the ignition cover off to see what the points look like. Man I have not looked at points in a very long time. I can not believe that the PO would not have re jetted with the Supertrapp pipe and K&N pod filters. It sputters out in the mid range. I got the bike plated today so I took the bike for a good run including a interstate blast. I opened it up to get past mid range, and she took off, looked down to see 110 , backed right off. I have a bad leaky fork seal too. I have them ordered. Once I fix the bogging, the front brakes, and the fork seals, this should be a fun bike.

Comment

Well, I looked at the points and they looked like they were new. I also took a couple of the spark plugs out which also looked new, and they were sooted up pretty bad. Does this mean it's running too rich????

Comment

Working...
                X