8Wire honda R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8Wire honda R/R

When installing my 8 wire honda R/R as per diagrams posted, i end up with 2 wires from the main harness left over.One white w/green stripe &white w/red stripe. my 81 550T has the headlight off switch. also where do both powers go .one switched one Batt? both grounds i get but i have one BLK wire on the R/R if its not a sense wire where does this go.THANK YOU SAN.

You can safely ignore the white/green and white/red wires and just leave them hanging. You should, however, know that you will need to run your headlight ON most of the time to help use up some the power that is being generated. If your headlight switch still works, feel free to turn the lights OFF while starting the bike, then turn them ON before you ride.

Connect both power output wires to the battery. I don't have any idea why you would want to connect one to a switched wire.

Not sure about the black wire. Are you sure it's not a sense wire? Once upon a time, someone had posted a link to a site that had the pinouts for virtually every r/r that has been made, but I did not save the link. Hopefully, someone will remember where that was and remind us all.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i have been told by numerous people the sense wire is black and the green is the negative (ground) wire. I had to tell myself time and time again so i wouldn't get the 2 confused. I have been dealing with the 6 and 8 wire r/r's from honda recently so i am somewhat versed on the wiring. I don't know why the ground is green and the sense is black though. You would think to stay consistent with positive and negative battery wires that the ground would be black.

On the 8 wire r/r you have 2 red to positive battery, 2 green to negative battery, 3 yellow to stator, and 1 black to sense wire.

On the 6 wire r/r you have 1 red, 1 green, 1 black, and 3 yellow wires.

My 2 cents worth.
      1979 GS850G
      2004 SV650N track bike
      2005 TT-R125 pit bike
      LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Even in your GS harness you'll find a hot black wire.

Comment

Honda 8 wire R/R

Thank you for reply, Steve i was told by anoyher member that 7 wire? had the blk sense wire and to hook to switched power. the R/R is from a 83 GL # sh538 12v 2.6 ,Thanks for info.TAS850, thank you for your time, I have All wires run to honda oem plug W/spade connectors replacing old bullet connections.Minus wh/gr to L/switch , and wh/red. loop wire? Plan to mount R/R to bottom Air filter Box "K&N cones on now".Is air flow good enough here,I also plan to drill holes to escape heat from back of R/R. IN air box , Not Rec.Also new Dyna S !/2 installed. new orings from Basscliff,intake orings also. They were all good exept Cyl 4.Oxydation had built up around o-ring.right under petcock wich I replaced due to leaking. BLA, BLA, ill S/UP. thanks all.SAN

Comment

Working...
          X