1983 gs650g carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs650g carb help

If im too rich at idle and want to lean it out some, do I turn the idle mixture screws in or out? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2009, 09:10 PM.

Turn them in to lean the mixture.

Comment

This could also be caused by a weak battery and low voltage to the coils.
      Did you do anything to the carbs to create a rich condition?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cool, thanks.

yea, I just did the dynojet install. Runs decent except for that. Thanks again

Comment

OK, so maybe I was wrong. Im getting a backfire on decelleration. I started with the idle mixture screws 2 and 1/2 and now at 4 and 1/2 and still doing it. Is it just too lean? I rebuilt the carbs and added the dynojet stage 3 kit and I have open exhaust and pod filters. Should I change where that clip is on the needle from the dynojet kit? Any other things I can do to richin it? I used the 160 jets.

Comment

Originally posted by 24flinchin View Post
            OK, so maybe I was wrong. Im getting a backfire on decelleration. I started with the idle mixture screws 2 and 1/2 and now at 4 and 1/2 and still doing it. Is it just too lean? I rebuilt the carbs and added the dynojet stage 3 kit and I have open exhaust and pod filters. Should I change where that clip is on the needle from the dynojet kit? Any other things I can do to richin it? I used the 160 jets.

Backfire on decel, but it idles good and has power?? I would raise the needle one notch.... try it at 2nd from the top..

When you say open exhaust... do you mean "open" you need at least a little back pressure, if you have a truly open exhaust, you may not be able to get around the pop on decel, without sealing it up a tad. On my magna, I fired it up and drove it without the kerker can on it... it popped on decel and really didnt run all that well. It would have however, put a harley to shame with the noise.lol

also you might wanna check and make sure your slides are moving freely..

good luck with it

Comment

Yeah, idles good and seems to have really good power. When u say second from the top, is that with the notched side up or notched side down? By notched I mean where the e-clip goes.

I do have a short 4" baffle in it but no packing. Its run all the way to mid way the rear tire though. 2 into 1, the 1 is about 1 and 3/4 ID. Its not as loud as I though it would be.

Will def. check the slides while i have them apart. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by 24flinchin View Post
                Yeah, idles good and seems to have really good power. When u say second from the top, is that with the notched side up or notched side down? By notched I mean where the e-clip goes.

I do have a short 4" baffle in it but no packing. Its run all the way to mid way the rear tire though. 2 into 1, the 1 is about 1 and 3/4 ID. Its not as loud as I though it would be.

Will def. check the slides while i have them apart. Thanks for the help

I guess I should have asked what position on the needle you were at right now...doh!..
                with the needle pointing down and the notches at the top I would raise the needle one position. in other words, less needle sticking out of the slide bottom. That will richen up your mid range, and hopefully kill your lean pop.

With a baffle you might be getting enough back pressure.. I would raise the needle if you find your slides are moving freely.

Comment

Cool, will try that this weekend. Its at the 4th spot down now. Thanks again

Comment

Go up one on the pilot jet.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X