New seat foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New seat foam

I know I could buy some gel inserts or Sargents atomic foam.....but I found this web site and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which type of foam would be best to insert into my current torture seat on the "L".
    This site offers foam pieces much cheaper that any other site I've found.

Foam Factory, Inc. - Wholesale polyurethane foam sheets, acoustical foam, eggcrate convoluted foam, memory foam and more.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
    I know I could buy some gel inserts or Sargents atomic foam.....but I found this web site and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which type of foam would be best to insert into my current torture seat on the "L".
    This site offers foam pieces much cheaper that any other site I've found.

http://www.foambymail.com/
    I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but if it were me, I'd go to TJ Maxx and buy a memory foam pillow for 13 bux.

Comment

Originally posted by Gib View Post
      I know it isn't exactly what you asked, but if it were me, I'd go to TJ Maxx and buy a memory foam pillow for 13 bux.
      Have you done that and replaced the foam in your seat ? Do you think it would be firm enough ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I view my L as a torture seat as well. I've played around with making a new seat and know that I don't have the knowledge as to how thick foam to use and how much to pre-compress it.

Came across this and am thinking of sending my seat.

Prices are reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
          I view my L as a torture seat as well. I've played around with making a new seat and know that I don't have the knowledge as to how thick foam to use and how much to pre-compress it.

Came across this and am thinking of sending my seat.

Prices are reasonable.
          Thanks for the link. I certain this is something I can do myself. Just trying to get some input on foam types. I live in the racing capitol of the world and I'm sure there is a local shop that could do it easily. I'm cheap though and like the satisfaction of doing it myself.
          It's the kind of thing you only have one shot at. Once you've cut into the existing foam it's difficult to go back. Unless you have an extra seat lying around.....which I don't.
          The shape is just all wrong on these seats. It needs to be slightly concave to fit the shape of my posterior. Being convex, it puts tremendous pressure on the tailbone and riding more than an hour is painful.
          I may try to simply the reshape the seat. But if I'm going that far I may as well shape some new foam. I'm sure the 28 year old foam has about served it's purpose.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I used dual density foam it comes in different thicknesses and I unfortunately found adding 1.5" of foam to the front of the seat makes it too high.

Comment

Most chair foams are medium density, foam is sold by the weight and type.

You want a closed cell foam. I used 80 pound density for mini bike seats, it worked however i found on that a much higher density in that application was needed.

There is a famous chopper bike seat builder that uses only recycled foam used for carpet padding the multicolored stuff, Google biker buildoff and you'll see he uses 6 inch thick foam and cuts it with an electric carving knife.

Others use a combination of recycled carpet foam and gel inserts.

Memory foam seems to make a lot of sense for comfort.

Comment

The seat on my L is not that uncomfortable. If I'm going on a couple hundred mile ride, I usually use a sheepskin pad. I've tried beads and they work pretty good but I find the sheepskin to be the most comfortable. If you want to add foam to your seat for more comfort, its probably better to remove some of the foam and replace it with a gel insert.

Comment

Working...
                X