Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front shaft seal replacement on 79 gs850.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front shaft seal replacement on 79 gs850.

I have been trying with no real success to get a manual ,my front seal on the shaft is leaking and I would like to know what is involved in replacing this seal.Remove swingarm ?

If the secondary gear assembly is leaking, The secondary gear assembly can be removed by taking the engine loose and raising it 1/2 inch to get clearance to remove the assembly, loosen the crankcase bolts adjacent to the gear assembly to ease removal. Have you checked the mounting bolts?? There is a seal behind the U-joint flange PN 09283-35018. and also an internal O ring
    PN 09280-70005. Another option would be to find a used set of gears IF
    you can

Comment

yes, swing arm removal is required, but is pretty easy. helped by the fact that we don't have a swing arm shaft or needle bearings running completely across the swing arm pivot to deal with, just a large tapered roller bearing in each side with threaded adjusters.
      on my 1000G I did not have to raise the engine to get the secondary output assembly out, you will have to remove the rear top engine mount rod to get to one of the case bolts, you will have to loosen all the case bolts, and nuts on the back half of the engine, and then the four bolts that hold the output shaft assembly in and carefully work it out, it will be tight and will take some work to get out.
      when you disassemble the output assembly, take the old seal to a good auto parts dealer and let them match it up, it is way cheaper to get the seal from a auto parts dealer then it is to order it from a Suzuki dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        If the secondary gear assembly is leaking, The secondary gear assembly can be removed by taking the engine loose and raising it 1/2 inch to get clearance to remove the assembly, loosen the crankcase bolts adjacent to the gear assembly to ease removal. Have you checked the mounting bolts?? There is a seal behind the U-joint flange PN 09283-35018. and also an internal O ring
        PN 09280-70005. Another option would be to find a used set of gears IF
        you can
        Is there a breather for the secondary gear assembly? Mine has been leaking intermittently into the boot and down the swingarm to seep out the flange. I discovered it was overfull by about 1/3 - 1/2 cup because I was apparently in too much of a rush changing it 6 months ago. But this doesn't explain why it's taken this long to leak. Just wondering if there's a breather that needs attention.....the Haynes manual isn't clear on the subject.

Comment

Let me be the first to warn on the subject. 1st of all dont buy the Haynes manual. If you can find another buy it. I got that manual for my GS850G 1979 and my Pontiac and will never buy from them agan. They want you to buy 16 books just to be able to work on somthing. For example. With my pontiac I need there pontiac book and there transmition book and there air con book so on and so forth. Buy Chiltons if you can. I am not even sure of Chiltons makes a GS 4 book or not. 2nd. I just replaced the 2ndary bevel gears in my bike and it is not a fun or a fast task. Basicaly I would plan on removing everything from the carbs back. Well good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonw24
            Let me be the first to warn on the subject. 1st of all dont buy the Haynes manual. If you can find another buy it. I got that manual for my GS850G 1979 and my Pontiac and will never buy from them agan. They want you to buy 16 books just to be able to work on somthing. For example. With my pontiac I need there pontiac book and there transmition book and there air con book so on and so forth. Buy Chiltons if you can. I am not even sure of Chiltons makes a GS 4 book or not. 2nd. I just replaced the 2ndary bevel gears in my bike and it is not a fun or a fast task. Basicaly I would plan on removing everything from the carbs back. Well good luck
            No, I didn't buy it. The local public library has a collection of motorcycle repair manuals for loan - Haynes GS850 included. Free - just the ticket for an old cheapskate. Agree Haynes doesn't seem the best....but never mind the quality, feel the price.....

(with apologies to Monty Python)

Comment

Working...
            X