Stalls, now dead battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalls, now dead battery.

Sig is bike. First start up after winter: dipped/cleaned/new o-rings in carbs, and o-rings in intake boots. I measured the float height at 22.5 when the float is resting on the needle. Am I to measure just when it just touches the needle by holding it up with one hand? I bench synched the carbs before I put them back on. My air jet is 180, mains are 155 and pilots are 47.5. I set the mixture screws out 2.5 turns. I started it up and after about of fiddleing with the idle screw for about 5 min, it seemed to idle pretty well at about 1000 rpm or so. I took it for a ride and about a mile or so it started bogging. Trying to blip the throttle, it cleared after half to full throttle, then when I let go and slowly throttle again, it would repeat until I gave it 3/4 to full throttle. So around 5000 to 7000 it runs nice, but want to fix the problem before I go riding again. When going to about 8 or 9000 rpm and letting go, some backfire followed with that. Tried to start it a couple of times and nothing. Waited about a min and put the choke on and it started and I barely got home. Then when home I tried to start it again and nothing happened with full choke or prime. After many attempts, the battery died. It bogs and stall until I throttle and it would catch about 3/4 to full throttle and be okay. I just bought a carbtune synch guage but have never used it yet. Was waiting until I could get it to idle then do it. Almost there guys and really appreaciate the help.

Also wanted to know what happens if the float level is too high? What happens when it is too low?

Comment

You have 155 mains in there?

Stock mains are 115. With pods and a pipe, I would expect maybe 130s. Personally, I think you are WAY too rich with the 155s.
      By the way, DJ 155 (your Stage III kit) is about the same as Mikuni 145, so you are still about six sizes too rich.

Also, in spite of a bench sync, the carbs can still be far enough off to not idle well. Get it to idle as well as you can, then connect your Carbtune. You might be surprised
      how well they may or may not be synched.

Have you had a chance to check your charging system? Could not determine from your post whether your dead battery is due to not being charged while riding or if it's from multiple, unsuccessful starting attempts. Connect your bike to a car battery (if it's still in the car, don't have the car running) to see if the bike at least runs. When it's running, you should be able to check your charging voltage.

Have you adjusted the valves recently? Valves usually tighten up on these bikes, which will make starting hard, especially when the engine is cold. This can also lead to running the battery down because it takes so long to start the engine.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, the 155 mains were from last year when my mechanic put them in and haven't changed them. I don't have any other sizes so what ones do you think I should buy? How are my pilot and air jet sizes? I haven't checked my charging system. Just was excited to hear it start so I took her for a ride. When I put the battery on it was at 12.5. I just adjusted the valves a couple of weeks ago. Everyone is within .07-.10 spec. Last year some were .03, .12, and then between .04-.08. When I did start the bike, I could really hear the knocking from the engine because the valves have larger clearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
          I don't have any other sizes so what ones do you think I should buy? How are my pilot and air jet sizes?
          Evidently you did not read my post well.
          Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Stock mains are 115. With pods and a pipe, I would expect maybe 130s. Personally, I think you are WAY too rich with the 155s.
          By the way, DJ 155 (your Stage III kit) is about the same as Mikuni 145, so you are still about six sizes too rich.
          Stock pilot jet is 42.5. Even with a Stage III DJ kit, they seldom change the pilot jet, so I would go back to the stock size. The 180 air jet is fine.

I just adjusted the valves a couple of weeks ago. Everyone is within .07-.10 spec.
          If you just adjusted the valves, why are they already out of spec? Factory settings are .03 to .08.

Last year some were .03, .12, and then between .04-.08. When I did start the bike, I could really hear the knocking from the engine because the valves have larger clearances.
          Why did they change? Personally, the difference in noise between valve clearances of .08 and .12 mm is probably not audible.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X