valve shims needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shims needed

Before I see about ordering shims from Z1enterprises, just wondering if anyone has two 2.55 shims they would part with for my nephew's '83 650G, as we are in the middle of a valve adjustment??
    Can be mailed regular 1st class 44 cent stamp envelope to me. I have a 2.70 and 2.75 for trade. Please let me know tonight.
    thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2009, 06:56 AM.

Do a search for GostGS or 'shim club'.

Comment

I have 1 2.55 and 2 2.50 if that we help you out?

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash View Post
        I have 1 2.55 and 2 2.50 if that we help you out?
        sent you a PM

Comment

Hi,

FYI...

GS Valve Shim Club: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394

Thank you for your induglence,

BassCliff

Comment

We had some difficulty getting 4 of the 17 valve cover bolts off the 650G. Felt like they were torqued down way too much or just corroded from too many years of not being touched. Anyway, after soaking with PB blaster 3 came free but even after being careful, one did snap. After removing the valve cover we found that there was about a 1/4 inch of the bolt sticking out from the head. More soaking and attempts with locking pliers did not pry it loose. Next I'm going to heat the bolt with a propane torch and see if the crud bond breaks free.
            My next thought would be to spot weld about 1 inch of a threaded bolt on with it's head dremmeled off, then guide the cover back on, use a nut along with the other 16 bolts and gently tighten it all down. Since little torque is required I thought this might be a safe way to proceed without creating a major project. I hesitate to use a drill and ez out, but since it is an inner bolt I can't get at it because of the frame anyway.
            Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

FYI...

GS Valve Shim Club: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394

Thank you for your induglence,

BassCliff
              thanks, I did send him a PM too.

Comment

Hopefully the heat from the propane will do the trick. Had the same problem on my son's 550L, and used a heat gun on the alum, along with liberal amounts (and patience) of PB Blaster. It broke free & finally threaded out.

I chased all the threads with a tap & of course always use anti-seize on everything now.

good luck

mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post