Got a leaky head gasket that is weeping a bit of oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a leaky head gasket that is weeping a bit of oil

Right below where the tach cable screws into the head.....Is there any fix besides removing and replacing or re tourquing????

If it is leaking below the speedo drive I would change the seal & O ring for the speedo adapter first

Comment

Re: Got a leaky head gasket that is weeping a bit of oil

Originally posted by Alwyn678
      Right below where the tach cable screws into the head
      Are you sure it's the head gasket and not the valve cover gasket (tach cable goes in to the valve cover right?)?
      Changing the valve cover gasket sucks of course, compared to say, not having to do it, but it would be much better than having a problem with the head gasket.
      Hap had some good things to say about the valve cover gaskets from RealGasket in case that does turn out to be it.

Comment

I had a leak too

On my 82 GS1100E I had a small oil leak on the front of the engine. The cause of the leak was the two small o-rings on the front/ center spacer nut that are located inside the valve cover. This is a spacer about 1/2 inch long with a o-ring at the top that holds the head on. Cost $2 to fix it.
        Don't know if the 750 uses the same hardward but get a good light and a mirror and look all around, up and down, just to make sure were the leak is coming from before pulling the head off. I was real careful when I pulled my valvecover off that I was able to resuse my 11 year old gasket with no leaks.

Jake
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks for the reply's

Comment

Working...
          X