Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be a tiny gap at the bottom of the cylinder block...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should there be a tiny gap at the bottom of the cylinder block...

I've just put the cylinder block back on after replacing the base gasket & cylinder o-rings.

It went down smoothlyand evenly & I kept checking the o-rings for movement - nada.

Before I put the head on, I see a very tiny, even gap (little wiggle fore to aft) along the base that goes away when I push the block down - is this just the o-rings compressing into their grooves, or should the block sit completely flat at this point??

I'm inclined to think it's the o-rings waiting for me to torque the whole thing down.

What say you guys??

PS - this is the 1st one I've done & I don't want to screw it up.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Make sure everything is clean and in place. If in doubt, take it apart and check it again. Only torque everything after you have made sure everything is in place. Check for gaps after you torque everything in the proper order.

You could have something out of place but no one could know that unless they saw it or took it apart, to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by zathros View Post
      Make sure everything is clean and in place. If in doubt, take it apart and check it again. Only torque everything after you have made sure everything is in place. Check for gaps after you torque everything in the proper order.

You could have something out of place but no one could know that unless they saw it or took it apart, to make sure.
      I'm certain everything was in place & it was clean enough to eat off of...

When i push down on the block I can feel it compress againt what feels like rubber. It's an even feeling all along the block along the base.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I think that is what you are experiencing. My '75 CB400F had the same feel on assembly (Yoshima CB400F X3 motor conversion).. On some older bikes they had O-rings that looked like little tubes. I had a friend that pinched on and lost oil flow to the top end.

Ultimately, you have to put it together to find out. Unlike Honda, at least Suzuki's don't tend to leak at the base gasket, early 4 cylinder Honda's did that when all was right ( head gasket also ). Sounds like a motor is coming back to life. It's normal to be careful at the end, especially with all the work involved. Good luck.

Comment

Just be careful. You don't want the horses to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            Just be careful. You don't want the horses to get out.
            Or the smoke.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Are the locating pins in the right places?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys,

Well, it's all back together now. No gaps or any issues after tightening everything to spec. All felt "right."

Quite a satisfying time actually - although I could have used an extra hand or two guiding the pistons back into the cylinders while lowering the block; not that easy by yourself.

At least I had an good excuse to buy a sorely needed torque wrench.

This little detour was all because I snapped an exhaust bolt and had to remove the head to get it out. Then Ed (Nessism) guilted me into replacing the base gasket as long as I was there. Actually, very sound advice, as it was apparent both the head & base gaskets were leaking.

So tomorrow I will re-install the "squeaky-clean" carbs & such and see if this baby actually runs!!

I will be careful not to let any smoking horses escape .

mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Good luck.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Don't forget to spank it's butt after it's rebirth.

Comment

Working...
                    X