Can chain tensioner question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can chain tensioner question.

I recently bought my first bike, a 1983 GS650L. What could happen if the tensioner knob is turned ccw while the engine is at idle?

The tensioner rod would retract, and the cam chain COULD go slack enough to skip a tooth or two..or three...Lets just say, DONT DO IT...hows that??

Comment

Originally posted by wings1 View Post
      I recently bought my first bike, a 1983 GS650L. What could happen if the tensioner knob is turned ccw while the engine is at idle?
      It could make a funny noise until you let go.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Your finger tips will also get very hot. Cam Tension is automatic. The assembly is there for assembly/disassembly of the motor. Unlike old Honda's where you had to loosen the tensioner to get tension.

Comment

Yup, don't mess with it.

I have no idea why Suzuki made these things with that big, inviting knurled knob on them. It's like it's taunting you -- "C'mon, just give me a twist -- you don't know what I do, but you can't resist my sheer amazing twistability..."
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Some people test them by slowly twisting the knob until you hear some rattling. I wouldn't do it myself, but some do.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I have no idea why Suzuki made these things with that big, inviting knurled knob on them. It's like it's taunting you -- "C'mon, just give me a twist -- you don't know what I do, but you can't resist my sheer amazing twistability..."
              Quite right - I remember doing just that on my first GS. Then asking here if I screwed anything up "after" I twisted that big knob. Can't resist!
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You've got a knob to touch just don't touch that one.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    More like a lever...
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Former Honda owners. On early Honda Fours you had to loosen the nut to let the spring tighten the cam chain tensioner. Then of course, not knowing what the nut exactly did, you would over tighten and break the bolt. Even if you loosened the bolt and tightened it correctly it was not guarantee that you had proper cam chain tension. Then you would have to loosen the bolt and the cap nut over the rod and push it in till the cam chained tightened, which lead to the premature death of many Honda's. I too was tempted but then read about not touching it. One more reason I love Suzuki's.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zathros View Post
                        The you would have to loosen the bolt and the cap nut over the rod and push it in till the cam chained tightened, which leqad to the premature death of many Honda's.
                        Bummer................
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X