No announcement yet.

Armor All etc. - opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, all my smart GS buddies got me thinking and......You've changed my mind. I tossed out the Armor All and thanks for straightening me out.

As luck would have it, there was a classic car show in my town last weekend. I went out and talked to a few people that have incredible money invested in old cars. I figured if anyone would know the true scoop on protectant products, it would be them. They, too, said that Armor All is bad news and gave a few suggestions. I think the best of the bunch is 303 Aerospace Protectant (it contains NO silicone..which these boys said is a "no no"). I bought some at an auto parts store and it is expensive but I'm convinced it's good stuff.

Check out their website and see what you think. It's www.303products.com
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

What auto parts house did you get this stuff from? I have not heard of it before, sounds interesting. Thanx....Tim :twisted:

Comment

Hey Tim, I got it at a NAPA auto parts store but, from what I've heard from these classic car guys, it's pretty easy to find. For instance, I think it's available at PEP Boys. I read all the info. that came with it and it made a believer out of me. I'm convinced it's good stuff.... But....I've been fooled before. :roll:

Comment

Hey Thanx! We have both of them here, I may have to try it with you... :twisted:

Comment

Very simple solution - ride more! I put on about 15K a year (3 bikes, but most of the miles are on the GS) and I never have a tire deterioration problem. They don't last that long.
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Tires

I'm not concerned about how my tires look.....I wanted the 303 Aerospace Protectant for my seat, cables, carb boots, etc. I don't put ANYTHING on my tires. 8)

Comment

So how does the 303 work on 'non-tire' surfaces? I'm guessing it works well for vinyl seat coverings since you mention using it there on your bike (how slippery is the seat after treatment?), but how about hard plastics like the housing for the bike's instrument cluster (another target commonly 'treated' with Armor All etc.)?

Comment

I am with Hap on this one,

I have used Son of a Gun for years on everything with absolutely no problems.

Comment

I've heard pretty good things about Son of a Gun, too, but have never tried it and don't know what's in it. The 303 seems to work well on just about everything. It makes the seat shiny and slick (which I like). I noticed that it makes rubber softer and more pliable. Also, they recommend it for plastic...I put it on my dash and speedo/tach windows and it made them look really nice and clear.

Comment

I work in a polymer laboratory.
                      While I'm not a rubber chemist, I just did a little (I mean little)
                      research into tire compounding chemistry.

Basically a tire is made up of Natural rubber,
                      a sulfur based crosslinking agent -vulcanizing.
                      a filler - carbon black - makes it black and makes it cheaper.

Small percentages of wax, antioxidants, UV stabilizers etc.

From what I've read, the type of sulfur crosslinker has the most impact
                      on tire cracking. Those that yeild a mono sulfur linkage are most
                      prone to cracking, others that yield bi or poly sulfur linkages
                      are less efficeint (more has to be used) but offer better crack resistance.

Armour All would not have any effect on the sulfur linkages.

But the question is, if a compound had a mono sulfur linkage
                      that may be somewhat prone to cracking anyway,
                      could Armour All cause some of the minor ingredients
                      waxes, stabilizers, antioxidants, to bloom to the surface and
                      dissipate with time and heat and thereby increase the rate of cracking?
                      It is entirely possible!

Peace
                      Mo

Comment

Actually the carbon in the tires is necessary to make the tire strong and is used in small amounts. I would have my doubts about armour all causing tire cracking but I dont use it so I don't know.

Comment

I don't want to get off on a tire compounding
                          discussion but according to some Michelin formulations,
                          the amount of carbon black is around 68 based on 100 parts
                          of the combined weight of the synthetic and natural rubbers.

Certainly not a minor component.

Carbon Black is listed as a reinforcing filler.
                          It does increase abrasion resistance and tear strength, but not
                          tensile strength.
                          In any case, I can't see Armour All having any effect on the carbon Black
                          or the rubber components but a possible effect on minor components.

Peace
                          Mo

Comment

UPDATE!!!!
                            I stated earlier that I had no problems with my tires and that I had used Son of a Gun on my tires.

Well, as some know My rear Dunlop just split the sidewall open after only about less than a 1,000 miles!!! Maybe there is some truth to it afterall???

Don't know for sure, but this really sucks, tires look and feel brand new everywhere else!!

Comment

Working...
                            X