Help with Lowering fork height gs1000 and new triple trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Lowering fork height gs1000 and new triple trees

Just like the title I am getting ready to rebuild my front forks on my 1980 Gs1000GL and I am wanting to lower the ride height of them about 2 to 3 inches and I was wondering if anyone has any good pointers on how to accomplish this.
    Is there a spring inside I need to cut? or take a spacer out or something?

Also I am getting rid of the speedo and tach on my bike and was wondering what other people have done to clean the triple trees up? Do you just get new triple trees and if so where? or can you modify them so they dont look so bad and get rid of all the extra tabs and holes and stuff...?

Why are you lowering the bike?

Looks? Are you short?

Lowering is a whole bike process, you can't just lower the front end

Also, you'll have little ground clearance and even getting into your driveway may be out of the question

How are you planning on shortening the inner fork tube? If you just cut down the spring and remove the spacer - you'll have little or no suspension travel.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

This should help you with the forks:

You will (obviously) lose ground clearance, so some pre-modification measurements would be advised
      Maybe try sliding the forks through the clamps and test riding to make sure it will still ride OK before you commit to fork surgery.

Good luck with it
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

On my 1980 CB750k the tubes were pushed up through the upper clamps, dropping the front about an inch. Lowering blocks were used on the back that relocate the clevis (bottom) on the shock back, changing the angle and lowering the back about an inch. I am looking into shorter shocks and will probably buy 2 sets once I get my GS1000. I will also push the fork tubes through the clamps on that one as well.

There is a guy who makes shorter tubes http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/, I will contact this guy to chop some tubes for my 1970 CB750 cafe build.

I lowered my rides because I am vertically challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by NPHLYT View Post
          I lowered my rides because I am vertically challenged.
          Should be better to cut down the seat and maintain the handling
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Should be better to cut down the seat and maintain the handling
            Some people need more lowering.....

My 1980 CB750 is still a little too high for me. This one will be on the market as soon as I can find a front brake caliper piston anyway. The GS will get lowered a bit (to be determined once I take possession) and the seat will be shaved and recovered (it is ugly at the moment). Though I may try to find a ratty seat for the pan and have one shaped.

If I could I would leave them stock height. Where do I get leg extensions, but not the ones Eric Cartman had.

Comment

I lowered my 77 750 By sliding the fork tubes up in the clamps. I had to make some risers to move the handle bars up and back to clear the tubes. I lowered the front 2 1/2 in. The bike now sits level as the front sat higher than the back. I also had my seat cut down for more clearance. Now i can at least stand at a stop on the balls of my feet. Haven't seen any difference in handling. I am also vertically challenged at 5'5".

Comment

Working...
              X