crazy high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy high idle

It fires right up after the carb rebuild but my '82 1100 idles at 4K! The idle adjustor screw doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I just cleaned the carbs and now am running pods with #50 pilots, #122.5 mains, Dynojet rebuild kit with new needles on 4th rung (2nd from bottom), 3 turns out on the air screws and a Star 4-1 header with open pipe. I'm at 5300" elevation (Denver).

Are my air screws out too far? Needles too high? Pipe too "open"? What do you think?

Start by shoving the baffle back in, and leave it there. An 1100 is just too loud, you'll make everyone think you're John Bobbitt! Plus, you need some back pressure.

2nd, your symptoms indicate a lean condition

Have you bench synced or vacuum synced your carbs? Maybe they're just cranked up too high

Your needles only affect the carb from about 1/3rd throttle.

So, intake boots? O rings? Pilot jets clean?

Also, remember that the DJ sizes are different than The Mikuni for a given number
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Make sure your intake boot clamps aren't jammed in the throttle linkage on the carbs. Make sure the cable is on the carb correctly and that the cable isn't bound. If turning the throttle and snapping it back doesn't release the linkage completely there it is one of these problems.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

WHich 1100? E or G? the 50 pilots sound a little large, the main sounds a little small, though you are in the Mile High city...(GO BRONCOS!) so the altitude will help richen up your mix. If you dont have a smaller pilot, Id say dial the screws back a full turn, and see what happens there. Blip your throttle, see what happens. If the motor hangs for a second or two and then comes back down to idle, you're lean, but if its coming back down, dropping below idle then coming back up, you're rich. TO ME, and im not a carb guy, it sounds like you're rich. THe more the bike warms up, the richer it will get, and the idle will slowly start to rise. That is why the book tells you to set your idle screw when the bike is warm...

Comment

Working...
        X