Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its what this forum is all about

Comment

check first if your frame has the 48mm diameter bearings in the steering stem.....if that's the case, then you will need:

30x48x13mm for the bottom
      26x48x13mm for the top
      Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2009, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I think you'll need the later!

I'll check prices/availability tomorrow for you......

Comment

General Question for all:

If you had to choose between a complete 1984 39mm Honda Nighthawk 650 front end and 1982 GS1100 front end, which one would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at purchasing either one, and I have located the appropriate bearings to make either front end fit alright, so at this point, what are the strong (or weak) points for either one? I need to make a choice by this weekend.

And one other thing, would I be able to fit a GS dual-disc wheel on the honda front end? I really like the star-shaped mags on the GS.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
            General Question for all:

If you had to choose between a complete 1984 39mm Honda Nighthawk 650 front end and 1982 GS1100 front end, which one would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at purchasing either one, and I have located the appropriate bearings to make either front end fit alright, so at this point, what are the strong (or weak) points for either one? I need to make a choice by this weekend.

And one other thing, would I be able to fit a GS dual-disc wheel on the honda front end? I really like the star-shaped mags on the GS.
            The Honda fork beside being stiffer just by virtue of diameter is also most likely a Showa fork. Showa suspension components were usually superior to the KYB components Suzuki used at the time. In '88 Suzuki went with a 43mm Showa fork like on Paul's bike. You would probably have to use the Honda wheel so that could be a deal killer.

Comment

I've been poking around (mostly unsuccessfully) to get the dimensions of the Honda rear wheel that corresponds to the front wheel on the front end I'm looking at.

Ultimately, I'm trying to see if the Honda rear wheel would fit my GS. I'm not wild about the way they look, but at least that way I'd have a matched set.

Anybody have any experience with this? Would it fit? (Boy I'm asking that question a lot these days...)

Or what about adapting the GS front wheel to fit the Honda fork?

Comment

if you have the money and the time for custom spacers to make the GS wheels fit the Honda front end then lets do it!!!

if you go with the GS front end you may find things line up and cross over cheaper and easier.....Honda parts cost more!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  The Honda fork beside being stiffer just by virtue of diameter is also most likely a Showa fork. Showa suspension components were usually superior to the KYB components Suzuki used at the time. In '88 Suzuki went with a 43mm Showa fork like on Paul's bike. You would probably have to use the Honda wheel so that could be a deal killer.
                  He could also use GSXR750 forks...they're Showa when the 1100 used KYB...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    He could also use GSXR750 forks...they're Showa when the 1100 used KYB...
                    What year did the GSXR start using the Showas?

On a related note, there doesn't seem to be anything useful on ebay right now for a good price...

Ultimately, bang-for-buck (and dual-disc, of course) is my number one consideration in front end selection at this point in my life. I'd like to get the stiffest dual-disc forks I can for the money. Right now, the best I can find for my money spent is the Honda front end.

Comment

Update:

I had decided on the Nighthawk front end, so I contacted the owner, told him I had cash and could come get them this (past) weekend. He responded back, said that would be good for him. I followed up asking for an address or directions.

No reply from him, for days.

Then, I get a response from the guy [in what seems like mere minutes after the GS1000 front end on ebay I was watching ended--$54 plus shipping for EVERYTHING, wheels, brakes, tree, speedo, handlebars, EVERYTHING! Grr.] telling me he sold it earlier that same day.

What a douchebag. I hate people like that.

So, end result, the search for a front end continues.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                        Update:

I had decided on the Nighthawk front end, so I contacted the owner, told him I had cash and could come get them this (past) weekend. He responded back, said that would be good for him. I followed up asking for an address or directions.

No reply from him, for days.

Then, I get a response from the guy [in what seems like mere minutes after the GS1000 front end on ebay I was watching ended--$54 plus shipping for EVERYTHING, wheels, brakes, tree, speedo, handlebars, EVERYTHING! Grr.] telling me he sold it earlier that same day.

What a douchebag. I hate people like that.

So, end result, the search for a front end continues.
                        I have a GS 750 dual brake front end, complete, or just the parts you need. Won't be using it as soon as the GS1000 front goes on...
                        PM me if you want it.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's another set I'm looking into, a complete front end from a 1986 Ninja 1000r. Can anyone here tell me more about these forks (brand, size, length, whatever), or point me in the right direction so I can find the info?

I've done several google searches using slightly different wording and come up with thousands of websites that don't tell me anything even remotely useful...

Thanks yet once again for all the help, everybody.

~Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X