should I or shouldn't I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I or shouldn't I?

well I am picking up the beautiful 79 GS850G that was listed in the for sale ads. My question is should I update to the Dyna electronic ignition or not. Is it that difficult to install? Main advantages of it over the points?

Thanks all

here is the bike I am getting

Yes, get the Dyna - it is actually cheaper in the long run over spending $60 for points and condensors, not to mention checking and adjusting them

Very simple to install

No wear, no tear, no change in spark -set it up and forget it

I've had mine since the early 80s. I used to check the timing every year or so, can't remember when I last looked because it never changed
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I would double check your charging system, do the grounds. You dont want any issues there if you can avoid it. make sure you are charging correctly.

Since you are set on teh Dyna S, I would go ahead and do the coil relay mod at the same time.

The Dyna could be fine, but if the volts are not to the coils it will not help.

a suggestion

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Pos

Comment

I've run my skunk for about 3k with points with no maintenance & no drop off in performance. I do have a Dyna S standing by though... No it's not hard to fit.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I still have the points in my 850 too. Just remember to lube the cam every 5k miles or so
          25k miles NO problems
          Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

How about retro fitting electronic from a later 850? At least you can check the timing of the points with an electronic timing light.

Nice kickstarter. I left the rear parking light burning on my 400 and having a kick starter got me home. can the blue be cleaned from the pipes?

Why do you always end up with great deals on bikes? But in this case it wasn't local so you are to be commended for retrieving it. We should take it for a ride when you're ready. Maro and I go out quite a bit.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X