starter clutch ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter clutch ?

On a 79 gs850, when it is turning over to start. There is a clunk noise from under the cover where the starter is. It dont do it all it time, It is usually about the 5th turn of the engine when starting. does not make the noise anytime it is running, just when starting. Its almost like there is something that slips and then catches again. And would this cause it to turn over slowly, and take alot more effort for the motor to turn over? can they cause a lot of drag or binding?
    I havent seen a whole lot of posts for anything about starter clutch?

Are they easy to fix? I know you need a special puller to remove the genorator hub.

Is it a metal snapping sound?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

its not quite a snaping sound. its more like a rod hitting the block sound, but its not. I had the top end off to replce the bottom gasket, it only does it when its being started. and usually only once in about 8 turns of the crankshaft. so if # 1 comes up between 5-8 times it might only do it once, occasiona;ly it has gone a few more times, but that is with a low battery. but it dont sound like its good. i had the cover off and the starter gears all have thier teeth. thats what makes me think its more the starter clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by boba View Post
        its not quite a snaping sound. its more like a rod hitting the block sound, but its not. I had the top end off to replce the bottom gasket, it only does it when its being started. and usually only once in about 8 turns of the crankshaft. so if # 1 comes up between 5-8 times it might only do it once, occasiona;ly it has gone a few more times, but that is with a low battery. but it dont sound like its good. i had the cover off and the starter gears all have thier teeth. thats what makes me think its more the starter clutch.
        I would have to agree. They still sell parts for it. The dowels in the clutch get worn out and snap back into the clutch.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X