Update on 86 gs550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on 86 gs550L

Well I got it running for a little while today. I sprayed some starter fluid into the carbs, connected the battery charger and started it up. It Sounded really good for running on 2 cylinders, after it was fuel starved it quit. I noticed as soon as I disconnected the battery charger it died immediately. (I thought it should run once it is going with even with no charge on battery). I also need to figure out the petcock. I am used to just on and off. I guess it is vacuum assist. (I did the tank off and i was surprised that fuel did come out of the petcock) What is there primary, reserve, and prime? I only put a littte gas in the tank, maybe 1/4 gallon. I am excited now to hear it run. I just need to figure out why I am only getting spark on two cylinders/same coil.

Which cylinders are firing?
    Charge the battery.
    Be careful with a battery charger and ether.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The two cylinders that are firing are the two inside (2 and 3) I know the coils are good because I switched the coil power wires and then the other ignition wires fire. A weird thing happened while it was running the headlight burned out. I don't know if it is related to the electrical problem or just coincidence. I need to get a new battery and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarsyn View Post
        What is there primary, reserve, and prime?
        The three positions on the petcock are RES, ON and PRI.

PRIme is to allow fuel to flow freely, in case you need to prime the carbs because you have not been riding for several weeks.

ON is the normal position. Vacuum from the running engine will open the petcock to allow fuel to flow to the carbs. When the engine stops, the petcock will close.

REServe will access the last gallon or so in the tank. It is also vacuum-controlled. If you have to use REServe, be sure to move the petcock back to ON while fueling up. If you forget, then run out of gas, it's a LONG push to the next gas station.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get a multimeter and check the voltage DC 20Volt setting on the battery while running.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Here are a couple of images of the bike. I have the seat it is just not pictured in the images.

Comment

Another from the other side

Comment

And a close up of the engine

Comment

fixed spark problem

Well I fixed the spark problem. I narrowed it down to the igniter or the signal generator, when I ohmed out the signal generator it looked good so I pretty much figured it was in the Igniter. I missed one on Ebay by 30 minutes. After searching the boards someone had said they had tried to repair one. I thought what the hell, I have nothing to lose so I took it apart. There really wasn't too much epoxy holding it together. As soon as I popped off the plastic retainer I found my problem staring at me in the face. one of the transistors was missing all 3 of its legs. All I can figure over the years it must have taken some big bumps and or one big one and broke loose. I believe the previous owner layed it down once, it could have happened then. Anyways I took it into an electronic supply house to see if they had any parts available. He was able to look it up and cross reference it but they didn't have any in stock. (The number on the part was D1113K and 41 F5) Anyways I bought some shrink tube, wire, and other misc stuff and went home and removed the old legs and soddered some jumper legs to it. I put it back into the bike and now I have 4 firing plugs. WOO HOO. I will post some pictures of it later. Now I have to get it to keep running. It will start jump up to about 4000 rpm and then stay there for a second, if I touch the has it will then die. Well one problem down and about 1000 more to go.

Comment

Attached are some pictures. This first picture shows the components. The tech at the electronic store ripped it out without desoddering it. I could have done that!

Comment

this picture shows the part number. These two parts (their twins) control each coil. I would bet that this is the part that is deffective in most igniters when they go bad.

Comment

this is my after picture with repair complete. It was such a nice feeling to see spark on all 4 plugs.

Comment

Working...
                        X