Installing oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing oil seals

Hello again, folks. So, I have just installed a pushrod oil seal for the second time, and it got mangled again, just like the first one. It seems like the rubber is wider than the hole, and when you tap it in (even dead straight with a socket) it rips the rubber and destroys the seal. Any suggestions?

In the mean time I covered the seal with blue gasket maker and put the retaining plate back on, but this doesn't seem like the solution.

Did you coat the outside of the seal with oil before pressing it in place?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Is the seal too big for the hole?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Entire Job

I need to do the same thing to my bike but not sure how much time/space I need. How long did the total job take you? Any recommendations for a newby? I am looking forward to seeing if you have better luck. Where are you located? If you are ANYWHERE near VA would I be able to come help and learn and give you a second set of hands if you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Is the seal too big for the hole?
          It appears that way.
          Are you buying Suzuki parts?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm in Canada... a bit of a haul to learn about an oil seal.

I didn't coat it with oil. Maybe I'll try that on 'take 3'. The seal is ever so slightly bigger than the hole, which makes sense for a tight fit. I'm just surprised the rubber keeps on tearing off. I'll order in another part... only another week or so and $10 before I can even tune my carbs!

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
              I'm in Canada... a bit of a haul to learn about an oil seal.

I didn't coat it with oil. Maybe I'll try that on 'take 3'. The seal is ever so slightly bigger than the hole, which makes sense for a tight fit. I'm just surprised the rubber keeps on tearing off. I'll order in another part... only another week or so and $10 before I can even tune my carbs!
              You really can't drive in dry seals without problems - try some lubricant. I would think that even something such as a light coating of grip glue would work.

Comment

I'm in VA - alas it's SW VA. Lived in NoVa for the first quarter century of my life - Arlington (Cherrydale), and Occoquan. Anyway, if you're willing to ride 5 hours you're welcome to come down here if you need help. Probably would have a shorter drive to someone in Southern PA or MD though, and would find someone more experienced than I.

Comment

Anyway, if you're willing to ride 5 hours you're welcome to come down here if you need help
                  You mean fly .. he's over 2000 miles away.

Comment

The outer edge of the hole may be a little sharp: I would sand/chamfer that edge. I would also put the seal in the freezer overnight before installing, and use a little vaseline.

Comment

Do not use a socket to tap the seals in, even with lube you can ruin the seal. Use the old seal on top of the new seal so you have rubber on rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                        You mean fly .. he's over 2000 miles away.
                        I replied to Andrwbunker, not atchbo on that one. His profile says Northern Virginia. Calgary is an awful long way away. I did drive their once many moons ago, or at least close - had some family living in Red Deer at the time. Actually made it there in about 50 hours That was on 4 wheels of course.

Comment

Oh Canada

I loath how far away you are. Thank you though. All this information is going to be useful. Thanks for leading the way.

Comment

Thanks, folks. I tried again for the 3rd time, and again drove it in a bit crooked. I think I should have used the old seal over top of the new one as was suggested here, but my socket was the same diameter as the outside of the seal, so I thought it would work out.

This time, I put the seal in the freezer to shrink it, put some non-hardening gasket maker (engine case bond) on the seal, and wherever it was not touching, some engine oil so that nowhere was dry. Of course, it went in a bit crooked... again... so I wiped the area and slathered on some blue silicone gasket maker, installed the retainer and bolted it back up. To hell with it, as long as it holds most of the oil. I'm now convinced that the only way to install this seal is to split the cases and squeeze the virgin seal between the case halves.

Maybe I'll just live with the 'automatic chain oiler'. It just has to pass an insurance inspection and I'm golden.

Comment

Working...
                            X