Voltage rises - bike dies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage rises - bike dies!

I've got an 83GS750ES. I have read the thread called "Need help with regulator/rectifier problem..." so I'm pretty sure how to address my problem, but I do have an interesting phenomenon. When turned off, voltage at the battery terminals is about 13v. When the bike is started, it seems to run fine. Idling at 2k, the voltage rises gradually till it hits 16.7 then it fluctuates between 16.7 and 16.9 and after about 30 seconds the bike shuts down. It shuts down just like a switch was thrown ... instantly.
    My question is, what's making it shut down?

Sounds like something in the charging system may be shorting out or overheating.

Comment

Is this what you read?

You can check you regulator/rectifier by following the Suzuki procedure below.

With the r/r removed from the bike, fins pointing up and terminals facing you, the terminals from left to right will be A, B, C, D, and E.
      Negative probe on A and positive on B you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
      Negative probe on A and positive on C you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
      Negative probe on A and positive on D you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
      Negative probe on A and positive on E you should get 50-70 ohms.

Then switch the negative probe to terminal B and place the positive probe on A, C, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to C and positive to A, B, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to D and positive to A, B, then C, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to E, positive to A, B, C, and D should give no reading.

Hope you can follow what I am outlining here.

If you've done this and the r/r checks out okay I can tell you how Suzuki recommends checking the stator. When you check r/r readings they need to be within range. Close doesn't cut it. I had voltage readings like yours and kept having batteries dry up. I switched back to my r/r that came on my bike when I bought it new and the voltage readings went back to normal. I haven't had to add water in months.

Comment

Re: Voltage rises - bike dies!

Originally posted by jaesbow
        I've got an 83GS750ES. I have read the thread called "Need help with regulator/rectifier problem..." so I'm pretty sure how to address my problem, but I do have an interesting phenomenon. When turned off, voltage at the battery terminals is about 13v. When the bike is started, it seems to run fine. Idling at 2k, the voltage rises gradually till it hits 16.7 then it fluctuates between 16.7 and 16.9 and after about 30 seconds the bike shuts down. It shuts down just like a switch was thrown ... instantly.
        My question is, what's making it shut down?
        you are making WAY to much voltage!!!! the extreme high voltage is cooking the ignitor box, that is why it dies, it will fail completely if the over voltage problem is not fixed very soon, also that will boil your battery dry very fast.

Comment

Working...
        X