Finally found 100% gas.. big difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found 100% gas.. big difference

I finally found a gas station with 100% ethanol free gas. I decided to fill up the tank today as it was running quite low (had to put it into res to make it ). By the time I got home about 20 miles later, i could already tell a major performance difference. I have still yet to do the carbs (extremely busy as work right now) but the spitting and sputtering was cut almost in half and the bike is quite a bit snappier off the line. I cant wait to get the carbs done and really be able to see her potential. If you can locate real gas, I HIGHLY recommend paying the extra bit for it.
    That is all.

kenny

I've had the same idea as to the ethonol causing my problems. Trying to find real gas is a big problem around here.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

We have Non-oxygenated (no ethanol) pumps around here for boats, sno-mobiles and Bikes. Its premium 93 and to tell you the truth I see no difference. I think I get better mileage on 87 oct with ethanol.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I ran a tank of Sonoco Blue Racing fuel, 114 octane, that I purchased for $5.50/gal and since then my carbs have new life!! I can't afford to run this all the time and the motor isn't built for it, but 1 tank through seemed to clean-er-out.....

Comment

Every Engine Is Different!

Back in the late 70's - Early 80's, the stations (at least in Georgia) experimented with "Gasahol". I don't remember the exact percentages, but it strikes me it was between 10% - 20%, or about the same on average, as the 15% in our fuel today. I was a mechanic at a speed shop at the time, with access to chassis dynamometers. I tried "gasahol" in all three of my cars, and the results were amazing! In one car, it ran great, and yielded an almost 10HP increase, Yet in my other, it caused missfire, and a decease in HP as a result. The 3rd was pretty much un effected, regaurdless of fuel use. No amount of tinkering, or tuning ever made the one car work with "gasahol". Likewise, my 74 Kawasaki H1 loved the "gasahol", while my 76 Honda CB750K6 almost refused to run on it. Back then, we theorized, that as alcohol changes the burn rate, and temperature, the designs of the heads, and how they controlled the flame front in the cylinder, had to be responsible for the difference in performance from one engine to the next. So I believe that what was tue then, is still true today. Cars today can vary mixture, ignition, and some, valve timing, which will compensate. Bikes are still 70's technology. You can try playing with jetting (leaner mixtures burn hotter) and plug heat range to control cylinder temp, and ignition timing, to compensate for flame front speed, but some bikes just aren't goning to like the "ethanol" mix. But then, I don't think the gas companies really care!

Comment

finally found a gas station with 100% ethanol free gas.
            Where are you located??

Comment

I use E10 all the time. I actually choose it as it's significantly cheaper and I think it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by KJWildman View Post
                I don't think the gas companies really care!
                85 SUZUKI GS300LF "SUZI"
                86 YAMAHA XV700S "VADER"
                88 SUZUKI GN250J "LIL RED"
                78 HONDA CB400a "Rosebud" (My Wife's)
                85 YAMAHA XV1000N "Pheonix" (No1 Son's)
                74 HONDA CB750K4 "GRAMPA"
                82 HONDA CM450C "BlueBoy" (No2 Son's)

Wow. Whether or not I want your bikes, I definitely want your garage!
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

So when are you going to fix your motorcycle?

If your GS is running right, ethanol in the gas doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

If your GS is running right, ethanol in the gas doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
                    Agreed. I know a lot of people like to put $hit on ethanol but the fact is that alcohol is the answer if we want to keep using internal combsution engines. Fossil based hyrdocarbons will eventually run out and we need to find clever ways of making flammable liquid.

Alcohol has been used as a fuel in combustion engines since they were invented. If the engine is tuned well 10 to 15% shouldn't even be noticable.

Comment

There are problems withe running straight alcohol too, but pretty much only that it burns twice as fast as gas.

Legalizing personal stills for fuel use would be amazing. It would be sweet to dieselize everything and start running veggie oil for fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

agreed and not quite agreed.

Ethanol brings it's own oxygen and on fixed carburated engines this makes them run leaner, a small amount but if you are already running on the lean side you will be leaner and you will notice it.
                        if you are jetted a bit on the rich side on 100% dyno mix will move you closer to ideal and you likely will not notice.

you can get more power out of a engine running ethanol than gasoline but your mileage will really really suck and the corrosion issues are a big issue.

Comment

Im working on the whole getting the carbs fixed thing... lol. Between working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, time is a little tight. To add to that, Im in the process of buying a house so I cant even afford to have the local shop do it. I got the estimate for it, and they only want around $250 to do a complete carb rebuild with proper jetting, cleaning, etc, as well as throwing the bike on a dyno and doing a complete tune.
                          So hopefully with all the overtime I'll have a little extra cash.

Comment

I've done numerous comparisons with the ethanol vs. non-ethanol gas in my Honda ST 1100 and I cannot tell one bit of difference in the performance of the bike and the mileage difference was very negligible as well.
                            As long as it works for each individual, then go with it.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I can tell a slight difference tween 100% dino and ethanol. It runs smoother, albeit slightly, with dino than ethanol. Now will i go out of my way looking for dino? No. But Sunoco around here doesnt put anything in the gas but gas, so if there is one nearby, I use them. When im in KY I make sure i fill up before i cross the boarder. Could be completely mental, but I do notice it. I also notice when I get gas from a gas station that doesnt turn it over very fast. As a matter of fact, RageZro and I both filled up at a Marathon on 50 in Indy couple weeks ago. When we stopped next, almost at the same time we both said "that gas must be bad.." as we were both having slogging lazy bike issues..

Comment

Working...
                              X