blowing oil out vent tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blowing oil out vent tube

I am talking to a guy about buying a 82 GS1100GL I have not seen it he says it runs great and is very fast but it blows oil out the vent tube of the engine, it has 13000 miles on it. Any ideal what might be wrong with it?

Probably rings and at 13k? Run a compression check.

Comment

I would check the oil level. Could have some gas in there.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        Probably rings and at 13k? Run a compression check.
        That would be my guess. If it sat for any extended periods, and with only 13k mileage it probably did, it could have stuck rings. If it sat the cylinder walls could have rusted and damaged the rings and cylinders when they ran it again. I'd second doing a compression check.

Comment

How many miles are these engine good for?

Comment

Originally posted by 65chevelle View Post
            How many miles are these engine good for?
            With proper care pretty much unlimited. Lots of them running around with 100k on the clocks.

Comment

It has pods? Doesn't it go to the air-box?
              If it only has 13k buy it and ride the crap out of it. The rings will seat.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

An Italian tune up will work wonders on a bike that has had less than 1,000 miles per year for a quarter of a century... Buy it, put good oil in it, ride it long and hard, then check the compression and blowby again. Can't hurt to put Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and let it soak into the rings a day or three beforehand.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought this bike it is blowing oil out the vent behind the starter cover below the carbs very small tube. Just got it going to look close at it later. I am thinking it might be the final drive oil vent?

Comment

I bought this bike it is blowing oil out the vent behind the starter cover below the carbs very small tube. Just got it going to look close at it later. I am thinking it might be the final drive oil vent?
                    I don't think there is a final drive oil vent, but if the crankcase breather tube is disconnected, that might be where it'll blow.

Comment

It is the secondary vent.Hoping it is over filled? Getting ready to change it and fill to spec.

Comment

Your on the right track. Check the secondary oil level
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I changed the secondary oil, it helped but still blows out a little? Before it blew out alot. It runs real strong

Comment

This helped for a while,but here is the real problem it is getting oil from the engine into the secondary drive. Then when it is over full it blows it out the secondary vent tube it lost 2 quarts in about 30 miles so it is a bad leak. I am thinking maybe a seal somewere between the engine and secondary drive. Would it be behind the clutch? Anywere on the net that might show a exploded veiw of the engine?

Comment

I checked the compression it was 100/125/100/100 not sure what is normal but it sounds low and not even though out. If it needs rings were can you buy them and can you pull the cylinder jug off in the frame or is it best to remove the engine. It is hard to belive it needs rings because it starts easy and runs veryvery good lots of power and no smoke.

Comment

Working...
                              X