Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

´77 GS750 with a couple of different noises and oil problems

First post...

Here we go. I purchased a '77 GS750 about a week and a half ago and what seems like just a couple of problems then has now grown to several.

Just for the record I have used the search function, but found it was a little hard to get a definitive answer and now I have more than one thing to deal with.

I bought the bike wth an odd little rattle in the engine. It sounded to me like a loose running chain, but from what I have read it could be either a clutch plate or the cam chain. The noise goes away at 2000rpm and becomes a litte more defined when you slip the clutch and take off.

I suspect it has also developed a ticking noise at the top of the engine, it could just be my paranoia, but I am certain it wasn't there before. A light metallic (what noise in an engine isn't metallic?) noise that you can here while you are riding.

Finally it dripped a little oil when I first got it. This wasn't a problem, I actually got a little nostalgic over the smell of oil on the hot cooling fins of an engine. Now it is. There is now a small lake of oil under the bike, I have riden it 6 times since I bought it and at that time it dripped very respectably.

I am going away for about a week and a half so I would like to get the parts ordered before I leave so that they are waiting for me when I get home

Also does anyone have any idea of how much work a clutch plate/head gasket (maybe cam chain) will take? I live in an apartment and will have to organise using a friends workshop to do any repairs so it would be nice to know in advance what I am up against.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am so glad to have found this community, the resources that people have put out online are astounding and I have been nothing other than awed as I have read through the enormous volume of information available here!

Cheers

Welcome !!
    How many miles on the bike ? Do you know where the oil leak is coming from ?
    These engines will make some noise. Sounds like you've got some investigating to do. It could very well be the cam chain.....I've never heard a clutch making a ticking sound though.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The clock says 65000, the previous owner had a bunch of work done, new pistons, valves adjusted, chain kit, a pretty good list. I named clutch plate as that was one of the things named by other people earlier in the forum. Another thing I encountered was the need to retourque the bolts in the head after changing gaskets. would this explain the fact that it is leaking more now than a week ago?

Comment

Greetings! As for the oil leak, you've not stated where it is coming from.

It could be a broken clutch spring from what you are describing, as far as the 'tick' is concerned.

As for 'metalic noise' from the top end, unless it is LOUD, it is most likely the valve train and nothing to get real worried about. As Larry mentioned...these engines will make a little noise on the top ends. That is part of their charm.

Comment

The PO had work done, but how long ago... Check the valves and have a look at things. A little PM will go a long way in reducing any nervousness you might have about the top end. Since you just got her, and unless you are sure when work was done, it's always a good idea to establish your own time line on the PM items. Oil Change, Check valves, brakes, blah blah blah..

Comment

Sorry, you are right, it is coming from the uppermost gasket left hand side. Slow and forgivable drip to begin with(a week ago), the last time I was out I was getting hot oil on my leg and it was embarrassing parking it.

Comment

Sorry you lost me with the PO and PMing...

But what I do hear you saying is that it is a good idea to establish for myself how things stand rather than waiting for problems to show up. Is there a basic list of things to check be certain of ith a 'new' bike?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2009, 05:24 PM.

Comment

PO=Previous Owner
                PM=Preventative Maintenance

If the PO just had valve adjust done, they probably will tap more. The valves tend to wear tight, so you have to put thinner shims in to open up the gap. It's a good idea to start your "bike notebook", starting with valve clearance measurements. Oh, and inventory the shims you have so you know what to order when it comes time to replace them. While you have the valve cover off, you can check the cam chain tightness and eliminate that as a source of your sound.

"Uppermost" is the valve cover gasket (above the intakes), but most left-side leaks I hear about are actually coming from the head gasket. The oil goes up through passages there. make sure you know which one it's coming from. If it's the valve cover gasket that would be better. If it's the head gasket you could try re-torquing the head nuts. Some also suggest putting thread sealant or locktite blue on the three little head bolts. Not sure if that helps after the leak has already started though. You run the risk of disturbing the base gasket also if you remove the head. But if the work he did was recent, that gasket should still be in pretty good shape.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I am starting a list of things I am going to attack at once now. I have also worked out that it isn't 65000kms on the clock but 165000. Will get back after I find time to look at it.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X