help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help

trying to get the beast out when put away it run like a scared rabbit and now with fresh oil new plugs timing set it will only fire on 3,4 only im running pods and dyna ignition the only thing i can think of is the coils but how can that be when coil 1 fires 1and 4 and coil 2 fires 2,3 any help ideas etc would be appreciated thx in advance

I'd check for fuel and spark.
    Pull each of the plugs one at a time, ground them against the block and make sure each of them fire. Double check the spark plug gaps to make sure they're in spec.
    Double check the model number of the plug too. A friend of mine picked up some Champions for his truck and asked me to put them in. The were the right package, but the actual plug in the sealed package was the wrong model so it can happen.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? I've heard friends that had gas turn to sludge over the winter so you can try to drain the float bowls and see what the gas looks like coming out of there and maybe go from there. You might need to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning following the guidelines on BikeCliff's website.

Comment

re your problem

Kind of hard to say since you didn't put in the Bike type or size or year but I would guess your carbs anytime that a bike has been sitting and the plugs have spark. More details would be helpful.

Terry
      WBL, MN

Comment

if you know 3 and 4 are firing (pipes are hot?) then both coils are firing which means eitehr the other ignition wires are not connected or bad wires. swap wires beteen 1 and 4 as well as 2 and 3 and see if it changes.

Comment

If not the wires, my vote is for the carbs. Carbs...

Comment

help

sorry guys its a 79 gs 750when i do the ground thing on 1,2 i get a weak spark the gaps are good the plugs are right but i will have to check the carbs and see what comes out

Comment

Have you spent some time cleaning up all the grounds? ALL OF THEM?

That goes for every other wire connection on these bikes as well. Buy a tube of dielectric grease, some solder flux/cleaner and a cumfy stool and get to work.

Comment

tazmndthomas

I think it would be useful to the board, if you post your conclusions as to what ends up being the problem (assuming and we hope you get it fixed).

Next time some strange symptoms occur it might help someone else diagnose their problems.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by tazmndthomas View Post
                  ... when put away it run like a scared rabbit
                  Here is the BEST clue. Just like a lot of For Sale ads, "ran well when parked". OK, give us one more clue: how long ago did you park it? Since you are in Toronto, I'm guessing that it was put up last fall and you are just now getting it going. Most likely would be a GOOD carb cleaning, followed by installation of new o-rings and a vacuum sync.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm also guessing that it was abandoned on the kickstand for at least a few months, and the "downhill" carbs therefore got the most clogged.

Clean 'em.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

on going

ive cleaned the carbs and did the coil mod but the spark seems to be very weak so im trying to locate a set of coils up here in the great white north to see if that solves my problem will keep you all posted and thx for the ideas

Comment

What are the volts at the battery?
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Buy a lot of parts, it's much better for the economy than effective troubleshooting.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                          X