Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 Will not start! Just cranks and cranks! Carbs are spotless!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Will not start! Just cranks and cranks! Carbs are spotless!

I just cleaned the carbs on my new (to me) gs550. It will not start. It just cranks and cranks. I'm missing 2 of the clamps on the boots going from the carb to the air box. Would that be my problem. What could I use as a clamp. Our autozone just sells the big clamps. They're about 1/2 inch to big. I'm afraid they would dig into the boots. Or does it sound like it could be another problem. Thanks for any replies! Any help is always appreciated.

You probably know this, but you need gas, air and spark in all the right amounts for the bike to fire. I just had one cyclinder on a bike I just bought that was not working. I pulled the plug and there was gas on it. I laid the plug on the engine block and started the bike and saw and felt that I had spark.

I started the engine again and for the fun of it, just opened up the air a little bit on that carb and sure enough, the pipe started to get hot.

My point is that you have to check all the basics. If you have a large air leak it's not going to run right (or at all?).

So you have to start with the basics.

Clean the carbs (which you did). Replace bad o-rings. Adjust the valves. If you just want to see if it fires, make sure you are getting gas and spark. If the petcock is really old, it's possible the fuel isn't flowing right or not flowing at all. See is you have gas in the carb bowls.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Comment

Sometimes getting them started again after a carb rebuild is a PITA.

Pull each plug & shoot a little gas in each cylinder (teaspoon or so). Then give it a try... Be ready to hit the kill switch though, if your idle adjustment screw is off, allowing the bike to rev out of control...

Good luck
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I seem to be getting spark and the petock is putting out fuel. I'm thinking that it's a vacuum leak. What could I use as a makeshift clamp for the boots?

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascott View Post
          I seem to be getting spark and the petock is putting out fuel. I'm thinking that it's a vacuum leak. What could I use as a makeshift clamp for the boots?
          Use a zip tie.
          Did you prime the bowls?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I only ask this because I'm guilty of the same...

Is the kill switch in the 'Off' position?

My first bike was a '72 CB350 that my dad and I rebuilt, and when we finally got everything back together, cranks-but-no-start. We tore the bike down and checked everything and put it back together checked everything and cursed and beat our heads against the wall for more than two days.

Then, as I'm pushing the bike over to the bonfire pile (not actually), I noticed the kill switch.

Needless to say the bike kicked over and ran like a scalded dog, and now anytime I have a cranks-but-no-start, that's the first place I look.

Comment

If zipties or proper Suzuki clamps don't sort it out:
              Try putting the petcock on prime for a bit if you've been cranking a while. I would also pull the headlight fuse & run jumpers to a car battery (car turned off).

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm gonna go over the carbs one more time, check for airleaks, and give it one more good go over. I'm sure it's just one of these obvious causes that I've yet to see. After all, it's the obvious things that are sometimes the hardest to see!

Comment

Working...
                X