I know another R/R question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know another R/R question

Newbie here.....My dad has given me his 1978 GS1000 he bought it brand new has less than 10k on it. It has done the ol' R&R trick. I have searched the forums but still can't quite decide which way to go on replacement. I see the Honda trick but it looks like it may be awhile before I could get one. Which is THE best way and place to go. Thanks for your help...I wanna get back to ride this ol' girl.

Electrosports.......no other. This is a stock replacement, but it cures all the original bugs

Duro

Comment

Originally posted by Duro5341 View Post
      Electrosports.......no other. This is a stock replacement, but it cures all the original bugs

Duro

Hmmm. Not exactly....

Did you ask Duane ? OK, I see you did.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Late model Honda regs can be had on Ebay just about an day of the week for $30 or so. Only a year or two old and way more robust than the GS regs.

Comment

Ok, I'm thinking about the Honda replacement. Is there a specific year,model,etc. That I should be looking for? And is there any mods that you have to do to get it to work correctly? Sorry for all the ???'s but I don't want to get stranded again.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzzzz View Post
            Ok, I'm thinking about the Honda replacement. Is there a specific year,model,etc. That I should be looking for? And is there any mods that you have to do to get it to work correctly? Sorry for all the ???'s but I don't want to get stranded again.
            I'm using a CBR1000RR from either '05 or '06. It's a 5 wire R/R and you just cut off the Honda plugs and the stock Suzuki plug on the wiring harness and use spade connectors to hook up the Honda unit. Use shrink type insulation to keep things dry and from arcing. My particular R/R is an SH678FB. Some people are using newer FET type R/Rs from even newer bikes.

Comment

do a word search for r/r replacement recommendations here and there is a list of 30-50 r/r that may or maynot work. The list will inform you which r/r's have been proven to work. I used this list with success.
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike
              LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Thanks Guys you have been a great help....off to the ebay store.

Comment

If you've been reading, and it seems as you have. Clean and/or replace all the electrical connections from the front to back. Get a multimeter and go through the stator papers. Make sure all the grounds are grounded well.

Do you have some pics to share ?

Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes, the fun begins. I'm starting to r&r all wiring connections...Thanks and here is finnaly a pic of her. She's still like new.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. buzzzzz,

Let me give you the unofficial "mega-welcome". Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator papers.

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        Hmmm. Not exactly....

Did you ask Duane ? OK, I see you did.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/member.php?u=208
                        I asked also, yet just couldn't wait any longer - I got an Electrosport R/R for $90 from ebay and it has really worked well. It plugged right in, after a trip to the hardware store to get longer mounting screws to accommodate the thicker heat sink.
                        Hondas
                        '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                        Suzuki
                        '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                        Kaw
                        '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X