GS starter fitment.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS starter fitment.............

What years and other models of bikes starters will fit a 1980 GS550E? Did a carb rebuild and and finally got it running and the starter went out, I guess from all the extra cranking after being idle for 2 years.

Steve E..........

You can get a good idea of what fits what by comparing part numbers and descriptions at Stocker's Starters.

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!

They also sell brush kits, so perhaps you can rebuild your sick starter. Good people.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the link, that's some very good info.

Steve E......

Comment

Turns out it wasn't the starter after all, it was some white chalky corrosion between the starter cable and starter terminal. It had been setting for 2 years.

Steve E..........

Comment

Hi Mr. se3388,

I'm glad your fix was so simple. I had a pretty easy electrical fix today too.

It's always a good idea to clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire bike, from head light bucket to tail light, including the fuse box and ignition switch. Corrosion is your enemy. There's a "Cleaning Your Wiring Harness" article on THIS PAGE of my website. Mr. Matchless gives some fine advice in it. Help yourself.

BTW Brian, I added that link to the mega-welcome. Thanks!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff

May I say thank you for your site, it is clear you have put a lot of effort into putting it together. I like the GS Forum also. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and info with all of us.

Steve E.........

Comment

Working...
            X