Starter solinoid.Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter solinoid.Not

G,day....(GS1100GK without the touring gear) iam just putting it back together after cleaning it up a bit and think all the wires are in the correct place.

So my starter solinoid is not functioning ...and i cant figure out why......if i short out the two poles, it'll crank....i dont believe theres any spark...but thats the next problem not the one i need to answer, yet.

Should the other two wires (Y/G and B/W) hasve power to them?

I thought there might be a sidestand switch, (Y/B and B/W wire) so ive noticed its not connected..i put a test light on it and it flashes intermitantly, whether the side stand is up or down.......why?

Any help appreciated. thanks.

Have you checked the sidestand switch's wires for shorts?

Comment

Hi Mr. Cromagnum,

Have you tested the starter button for continuity? Do you have to pull in the clutch to start the bike?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The y/g should have battey voltage when you put up the kick stand and pull in the clutch if they havent been bypassed yet. And black white should be ground. No ground follow the wire same with they y/g follow it looking for power. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromagnum View Post
          G,day....(GS1100GK without the touring gear) iam just putting it back together after cleaning it up a bit and think all the wires are in the correct place.

So my starter solinoid is not functioning ...and i cant figure out why......if i short out the two poles, it'll crank....i dont believe theres any spark...but thats the next problem not the one i need to answer, yet.

Should the other two wires (Y/G and B/W) hasve power to them?

I thought there might be a sidestand switch, (Y/B and B/W wire) so ive noticed its not connected..i put a test light on it and it flashes intermitantly, whether the side stand is up or down.......why?

Any help appreciated. thanks.
          Judging by your greeting I'm guessing that you're an Aussie. In your profile you should put where you are from. This is a very helpful place and if there is someone near you they'll probably give you a hand sorting it out.

The sidestand wires should be 'live' whenever the bike is on. Putting the stand up presses a button and breaks the circuit. If those wires have intermittent power you have a bad connection somewhere else.

As I said, let us know where you are and someone may be able to help. Diagnosing wiring dramas without being there is very difficult.

Comment

All very interesting...apologies for no location info..Iam in the Gong..seen a few GS's on the streets, is one reason i bought this one. (will rectify this shortly)

I dont believe my sidestand switch has been by passed (how would i do that?-simply joining the two wires together?) the intermitant issue is definatly one ill chase, as its regular much like the blinkers.........hmmmmm now i dont actually remember (a few bikes between my disassembly and return to this project) if i had to pull the clutch or not in order to start it,,theres no wires to the clutch so maybe not.

Ill let you knowc how i go, Thanks Gentlemen.

Comment

The start button gets dirty, its just a copper bit that needs some steel wool to shine up and clean the circut board where it makes contact. Watch for the spring so you dont loose it, if it mush you can cut 1 from a ball point pen just cut to length. When you have the switch apart check for voltage to make sure its getting there. Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas, it turned out to be my starter button after all.......all is well with the world now.

Comment

Is the GK that much different than the other GSs? (except the baggage, of course)

I have not seen a GS that had the sidestand switch connected to anything besides a warning light in the dash panel.
                  They do not affect the starting ability or the running of the bike in any way.

Also, check the clutch lever assembly carefully, most of them do have wires on the bottom side.
                  An Aussie bike might be different, though, our US-spec bikes have to have the clutch pulled to be able to engage the electric starter.
                  Most of us have disabled that feature to ease the starting routine a bit.

By the way, thanks for posting the resolution to your problem. It will certainly help someone else.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X