Float Bowl Still Leading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Bowl Still Leading

I think the number of carbs on my '78 GS750C that are are still leaking gas from the float bowl vent hose is now down to one - actually carb #1. I removed the bowl this afternoon and turned the petcock to prime. As expected, gas flowed and when I manually raised the floats the gas flow stopped. I really don't think that the bowl is interferring with the movement of the float. What else should I look for to stop the leaking gas? I set the float height when I rebuild all four carbs. If I missed the mark on carb #1, would this cause the gas to leak? Can I measure and adjust the float height with the carb rack on the bike?

Thanks for any suggestions.

rickt
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2009, 08:54 AM. Reason: Wrong word!

Originally posted by rickt View Post
    I think the number of carbs on my '78 GS750C that are are still leaking gas from the float bowl vent hose is now down to one - actually carb #1. I removed the bowl this afternoon and turned the petcock to prime. As expected, gas flowed and when I manually raised the floats the gas flow stopped. I really don't think that the bowl is interferring with the movement of the float. What else should I look for to stop the leaking gas? I set the float height when I rebuild all four carbs. If I missed the mark on carb #1, would this cause the gas to leak? Can I measure and adjust the float height with the carb rack on the bike?

rickt
    First, check the condition of the float needles and seats. It may be time to fit a new set. Next, check that the float isn't punctured. It could be damaged and taking in fuel causing your problem. Not sure if your model has brass or plastic floats. I am assuming that you did verify the accuracy of your float heights first.

It's extremely difficult to work on the floats while the carbs are still on the bike. Take them off again, before you do some damage.
    Last edited by 49er; 05-23-2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Everything is new

Needles and seats were all replaced with new pieces. Carbs were stripped and dipped. I don't think the floats are hollow and yes, I did verify the float heights before everything was put back together.

rickt

Comment

Needles and seats were all replaced with new pieces. Carbs were stripped and dipped. I don't think the floats are hollow and yes, I did verify the float heights before everything was put back together.

rickt
        OEM new, or aftermarket new needles? Some kits supply needles that are the wrong length, so you don't get the correct float levels by using factory settings. It may be necessary to check them again.

Needles, damaged floats or incorrect heights are the only likely causes of your problem. A petcock failure would cause this affect but usually across all the carbs. Also, the #3 pot would fill your crancase with fuel, on your model.
        Last edited by 49er; 05-23-2009, 08:23 PM. Reason: altered last sentence
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

If you have rust in the tank it will foul the needles pretty quickly even if you cleaned the carbs. Not sure this is the problem but worth mentioning.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

rickt
            Had a similar problem with overflow. When I opened them up I realized that the float needles seemed to fit properly, but would not rotate in the seat. Not that they need to, but what that indicated was that the seat was slightly out of round and if the needle rotated slightly while running it would stick. The seat might have been damaged while pulling it out or putting it back in. Make sure the needles can move freely in there.

Comment

Is that the float bowl at the front with the flag and paton?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Is that the float bowl at the front with the flag and paton?
                Hey Bill, I see you're getting bored again. How about some new mods to that 1100L ?

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                  Hey Bill, I see you're getting bored again. How about some new mods to that 1100L ?
                  Nah, done with that.
                  Building a Yellow turd dragbike.
                  No pods but with velocity stacks!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Needles and seats were all replaced with new pieces.
                    What is the source of the replacement needles & seats?

For many people, the problems begin when they install parts from rebuild kits.

That said, I've never been able to visually find a flaw with a leaking seat / needle combo. I'm not sure why, but I've scrutinized known-leaky seat/needle combos and they look fine. No visual clue as to a cause. Replacing them with OEM solves the problem.
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Carbs are coming off!

The carb rebuild kits came from Sirius Consolidated, Inc.

Carb 1, even with extensive tapping, rapping, cursing, and intake of alcohol (by me not the carb) continues to leak from the float bowl vent.

I'm gritting my teeth and pulling the carbs. I'm not quite sure what I'll be looking for? My plan is to remove all four float bowls and check the float height first.

Is my assumption correct that the proper method for checking float height is to have the carb "upside down" with the needle fully seated, then lower the float until the tang just contacts the tip of the needle? Then measure the distance from the bottom edge of the float to the float bowl gasket surface (minus the gasket)?

I'm tempted to replace all needles and seats with new parts, but my search of parts fische suggests that OEM are no longer available.

What other vendor options are available if I decide to replace just needles and seats?

How should I go about bench testing for leaks once everything is back together? I'm thinking that I'll set the carbs on a bench and connect the gas line to an axillary tank and see what comes out of the vent? Does this make sense.

If there are other ideas on how to resolve my problem, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
                      rickt

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      What is the source of the replacement needles & seats?

For many people, the problems begin when they install parts from rebuild kits.

That said, I've never been able to visually find a flaw with a leaking seat / needle combo. I'm not sure why, but I've scrutinized known-leaky seat/needle combos and they look fine. No visual clue as to a cause. Replacing them with OEM solves the problem.

Comment

When you measured the floats with it just sitting on the valve how did you measure and hold the float perfect. That's kinda hard and get it right.
                        What I've noticed about aftermarket needles is that the spring in the valve is weak and depresses too far with just gravity pushing the float down and the valve goes in at least half. This to me makes it almost impossible to set a correct float heigth. See if K&L makes a kit for you. They are the lesser of the evils of other kits.

Comment

swap a float needle/seat while your in there for verification

Comment

Update - Leaking Float Bowl

Pulled the carb rack this afternoon and took a close look at #1 after removing the bowl. Everything looks good: float height at 23 mm, no interference with bowl gasket, needle moves easily in seat, spring in seat ok.

The only thing I noticed was that the float pin slides easily in the mounting tangs. Is this a problem? I'm pretty certain that the other 3 were interference fits and had to be "tapped" in.

I ordered two rebuild kits from Z1 - I really don't know what else to do. This part of the carb is (or should be) pretty dog gone simple.

Am I missing something really obvious???

rickt

Comment

The only thing I noticed was that the float pin slides easily in the mounting tangs. Is this a problem? I'm pretty certain that the other 3 were interference fits and had to be "tapped" in.

Am I missing something really obvious???

rickt
                              With or without an interference fit, the bowl itself will hold the pin from sliding out. Examine how the bowl is shaped and you'll see (and you probably already have...).

You have a bum seat / needle combo. It's unfortunate that many rebuild kits are of such poor quality.
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X