Fluttering Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluttering Carbs?

Hello to all. This is my first post as I just joined and pics of my bike are coming. This website is amazing. I hope somebody can help me with my situation.

I have a 1981 GS1000GL with 12 K miles, a 4 into 1 exhaust and Accel coils and wires. Everything else is stock. I just put on the K&N individual air filters and could not get the bike to run. I gave the bike to my mechanic who adjusted the valves and after attempting to re-jet the carbs suggested I go for the Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit. He installed the jet kit and the bike runs beautifully....except for one issue.

At the higher RPM's (5-8K) at a higher speed the bike bogs down and then takes off again. I took the bike on the highway and the bog it was so bad I thought I was out of gas, then the bike took off and I thought I would pulll a wheelie. The problenm occurrs at 50 mph and above but does not seem to occurr at slower speeds, even at the higher rpm's.

The mechanic has had the bike for two weeks and said that he took it for a ride and noticed that when his legs are tucked in tight, the problem does not occur. When he rides with his legs open is when the problem rears its ugly head. He said I I have fluttering carbs which means that when the airflow is blocked by his legs the bike runs fine but when the airflow is disrupted riding in an open position, the bike bogs down at higher rpm/speed.

He suggested creating a "sheild" out of metal which would help the airflow to the carbs be more consistent (like when he rides with his legs "tucked in") or go back to the stock airbox. I'm afraid that this sheild he suggested would look Hokey and after spending $250 on filters and the jet kit, I definitly dont want to go back to the stock air box. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide as I am stuck with a bike that I cant ride on the highway.

Thanks so much

Mike
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2009, 07:11 AM.

Welcome to the world of pods.

He has already given you the best suggestion, but you have already spent (wasted?) your money. Now it's time to choose.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Welcome to the world of pods.

He has already given you the best suggestion, but you have already spent (wasted?) your money. Now it's time to choose.

Does it matter if he replaced the exhaust packing prior to the re-jetting? Is there no hope other than putting on this shield? Are there any aftermarket items that might help?

Comment

Repacking the exhaust should not bother jetting that much.

Yes, there is hope other than the shield.

Don't know about any aftermarket items that might help, but a stock airbox would surely do the trick.

It has been demonstrated that just moving your legs affects the airflow enough to bother the carbs. A stock airbox will prevent that.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X