Still Won't Start, WTF!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Won't Start, WTF!!!!

Man O man This thing is my nemesis! Rebuilt the carbs on my GS850 Now it won't even sound like it wants to turn over. New orings throughout, new airbox boots to get the needed vacum, new Carbtune Pro and nothing.
    I took the carbs back off to see if I screwed up the float height so bad it wasn't getting fuel, nope all at 22.4 mm.
    What other screws need to be adjusted on the carbs beside the Air Fuel screw on the top between the block and the body of the carbs? I have these set 2.5 turns from lightly seated.
    Anymore and I think it will get parked again for another 5 yrs or till I can get a new bike.

Did you turn the petcock to prime to fill the float bowls? If you did that, try opening a couple of float bowl drain screws to see if there is gas inside. Lastly, PLEASE take a small bit of time and set up your profile so we know what year and model your bike is. The 850 came with two different types of carbs so you are making me guess as to which type you have.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Now it won't even sound like it wants to turn over.

What does this mean, exactly ? You hit the starter and nothing, it just cranks and cranks.....what ??
      Did you check to see you're getting spark ? Have everything hooked up correctly ? Fuel line, vacumn line, etc.....
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I am using the gas tank off my Snow Blower, Was thinking about putting on the tank to see if I was doing something wrong. I have gas that comes out of the bowls but does not seem to get in the Cylinder as the plugs don't seem wet. I can get a Hell of a backfire out of the exhaust if I spray a little starting fluid in by the Air filter. Yes the damn thing just cranks and cranks every once and a while a backfire. Spark good, bike bad!!

Comment

Do you have the airbox and filter installed, closed, and the lid sealed ?

How about the vacumn port on the carbs plugged ?

Just trying to think of things..........
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Turn your idle adjust screw up a little (clockwise) - perhaps it's backed off too much.

Pull each plug & shoot a little gas in each cylinder (teaspoon or so). Then give it a try... Be ready to hit the kill switch though, if your idle adjustment screw is set too high , allowing the bike to rev out of control...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Stock airbow is on w/ filter and sides in place, I did try it w/ one of the covers off so I could squirt startinf fluid in to make a big bang.
              Thanks

Comment

Was just sitting thinking I changed the Float needles w/ some I found on ebay. Are aftermarket ones ok or have you guys had problems w/ them?
                On Cylinder #4 it is backfireing gas from the passage way across from the Air Jet. What the heck does this mean?

Comment

Providing they are the correct ones, it shouldn't be a problem. Are they new or reused ?

Did you try turning up the idle adjustment knob ?
                  Did you bench sync the carbs before putting them in ?
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Pull the plugs and see if they are wet with gas.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I squirted alittle gas in each cylinder and it fired up but I couldn't make it go again w/o the gas in the plug hole. Now What to try?
                      Thanks

Comment

1-4 2-3 signals are reversed sparking at the wrong time

try that

Originally posted by WI Smoke View Post
                        I am using the gas tank off my Snow Blower, Was thinking about putting on the tank to see if I was doing something wrong. I have gas that comes out of the bowls but does not seem to get in the Cylinder as the plugs don't seem wet. I can get a Hell of a backfire out of the exhaust if I spray a little starting fluid in by the Air filter. Yes the damn thing just cranks and cranks every once and a while a backfire. Spark good, bike bad!!
                        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Well I just looked at the coils & wires. Left side goes to 1 , 3 right goes to 2 & 4. Gotta be something stupid. guess I'll take the carbs apart again for the 4th time.

Comment

Originally posted by WI Smoke View Post
                            Well I just looked at the coils & wires. Left side goes to 1 , 3 right goes to 2 & 4. Gotta be something stupid. guess I'll take the carbs apart again for the 4th time.
                            1&4 fire off the same coil as does 2&3.
                            Think you found your problem.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said........
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X