Pod Filters-Do they leave carbs undersupported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod Filters-Do they leave carbs undersupported

I have just been thinking, does removing the air box and replacing it with pod filters leave your carbs under supported? Anyone had issues? It sure would suck to have them fall off while riding.

Shouldn't be an issue if the 2 sets of bandclamps between the carbs and the head are nice n' tight.

Comment

No issues at all, if you have ever mounted them they are some what difficult to do by yourself. They actually snap into the intake boots (as seen below) on some GS models and will stay in place without any clamps. With the clamps securely fastened they are going no where. You could move the bike by grabbing them, however I would not advise it as common practice.

Comment

They wobble and vibrate but shouldn't come out. As the guys said above, the clamps hold them snug.

Comment

Support

I ran a big zip-tie around the carb bracket and the frame tube, just for insurance. It seems to put a little less strain on the intake manifolds.

Comment

Umm, I've had a different experience. I was running pods and here in New England there are many roads where doing 40 mp.h. will get you airborne. That being said, my carburetors detached from where they are vulcanized onto the aluminum, yep, they mounts came apart leaving me in the middle of nowhere. I was able to get up and running by using bungie cords to strap the carbs back in place. Obviously the bike did run somewhat lean. I , after buying new intake boots, made a bracket to support the carbs to the ENGINE, as mounting them to the frame could introduce different stress points and pull them apart again. They won't fall out of the holes but the they could break off without support. I don't run pods anymore as I believe they do not filter as well and cause premature ring wear, my personal opinion. They also make the bikes peaky and the broad powerband is what attracts me to Suzuki's in the first place. If you race, that's a completely different story. They should still be supported IMHO.

Comment

Working...
            X