81 GS450S Gas overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450S Gas overflow

Pulled the carbs, cleaned them and reinstalled. Now I have gas POURING out of the overflow tubes. Perplexing thing is these Mikunis are not like the ones on my 82 GS850 (or the carbs in the carb cleanup series), as I pulled the floats, needles etc. and cannot find any O rings. Needles and seats looked clean when I pulled them. Anyone know anything about these carbs?

Good thing, though, is that oil is not spewing from the crankcase vent anymore. After I reinstalled the carbs I ran the crankcase vent into a catch can and nothing went in there.

But now I am spewing gas :-(

Thanks,
    Kurt

Either your float valves are not sealing or the o rings around the float valves are shrunk, split and leaking.

Comment

Did you mix up the needles and put them back in the wrong carb????? On The BikeBandit web site it looks like your seat assembly screws into the carb body there is no o ring that I could see only listing is for a washer I would recheck the float level too.

Comment

I took the carbs back apart and cleaned them once again. I also bent the float tabs up just a tiny tad. No more leaks. Also, the only thing coming out of the crank vent now are little wisps of whitish smoke/vapor...not gallons of fuel and oil. Only thing left now is the petcock. Ordered a rebuild kit and they sent the wrong one (no, a GS1150 kit is not quite the same ;-).

Thanks to all for the ongoing assistance. Should be on the road this week if all goes well and nothing else turns out to be malfuntioning.

Kurt Kesler

Comment

Working...
        X