Oil-Flooded Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil-Flooded Stator?

This is my first question in the forum and appreciate any help. I have an '81 GS1100E that has sat in the garage for a few years. Once I got it started the stator housing seemed to be too hot, so I removed the stator cover and it was filled with oil...The stator must have been totally immersed. I'd say at least 2 or more quarts spewed out...this is not normal...right?
    Also, when the bike was running, I found the white/red wire connection from the R/R getting hot enough to cook the connection insulation. I can't figure what happened because the connection seemed clean and soundly connected.
    I checked the stator winding resistances and also checked the regulator/rectifier and found them to be bad (at least according to the test readings). The bike didn't have this problem when it was stored.
    So to replace these units is pretty expensive unless someone has a deal on them. I'm starting to read more about stators and the GS charging system in the "Stator Papers"...What's up with the GS electrical system?

When I replaced my starter clutch, I removed the cover and got less than 1 cup of oil. 1 to 2 qrts doesnt sound right.
    And yes - GS's are known for having charging problems.
    Welcome to the club.
    Soon someone with more knowledge than I will give you some ideas.
    85 1150E

Comment

Yep, stators are in the engine oil.

Yep, GS known for problems with charging system. Mostly due to:
      - connectors/connections between staor and R/R causing problems,
      - and due to the R/R being grounded to the the battery box but the battery box may not be well grounded. Hence why you see suggestions for adding your own ground wire from where R/R is 'grounded' to battery negitive.
      - and if any problem causes stator failure it can then take out R/R also.
      - and if any problem causes R/R failure it can then take out stator also.
      - and maybe others I dont know.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

oil in stator

yes i have had oil there too. but not as much as you have found...
        as for the stator you can rewind it your self if needed. its not as hard as it looks but it will take some time. i just redid my stator and will be posting how i did it. and show what it looked like before and after.

Comment

I just pulled the stator cover off a 850L that is a project bike of mine and had the same problem. The oil smelled like old gas and the bike labored when you hit the starter.

The carb floats had stuck and over time it filled the crankcase with gas. The extra just came gushing out because it was over filled. As far as the rest of the problems the stator sounds/tests bad. Check the condition of the oil and see if you might have the same problem as myself. It happens, especially on bikes that sit for a while.
          GS Score Card
          4-400 Series GS's
          3-500 Series
          1-600 Series
          1-700 Series
          4-800 Series
          1-1000 Series
          2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
          sigpic

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Bull Taco,

Here is your very own "mega-welcome". Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. To minimize electrical issues, take the time to clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire harness, from the headlight bucket to the tail light, including the fuse box and the ignition switch. You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the bike was on the kickstand, a lot more oil would come out when you remove the stator cover.

On the centerstand, not much at all.

To answer the implied question, yes, there's supposed to be oil in there.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

As bwringer stated if on the center stand some but not much oil will come out, definitely less than a quart. If on the side stand then most of the oil will shift/settle on the left side of the bike and collect under the stator cover. Also, smell the oil to see if maybe gas had gotten into the oil.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                X