Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or check the plugs. One will be wet and black if oil is in that cyl

Comment

I think if that much oil were coming through an exhaust valve and collecting in the exhaust (assuming that cylinder is actually firing), it would be smoking like a Hollywood fog machine.

Clean the engine and exhaust really well, I mean scrub it down good with simple green and a brush. Dry it off with a fan. When it is completely dry (generally overnight), lightly dust the engine and exhaust with talcum powder. Start the bike, let it run for a while (five minutes idling won't hurt anything), then shut it off. Use a fan on a light setting to blow the powder off. Examine closely any areas where the powder is stuck to the engine.

You'll find your leak.
      Last edited by Griffin; 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Hmm rebuilt the carbs & then theres a new leak .........

Imho the clue is in the very first post so i'll hazzard a guess its not oil but fuel contaminated with carbon from the exhaust caused by one or more carb being incorrectly set

i'd also check the oil for being contaminated with fuel before going in search of a mystery "oil" leak

just a thought
        tone

Comment

I actually bought the bike as a salvage. It had been sitting for about 4 months. I had never seen the bike run until I got the carbs redone. I will make sure all of the bolts are tight around the oil pan and use the talcum poweder trick suggested. I would really like to find a simple solution. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll update and let you know what I find.

Comment

Are you certain it's oil ?

And there are few simple solutions......
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

100% positive it's oil.

Comment

If that cylinder is not firing, then it wouldn't smoke much. That plug should be totally wet with oil and not firing. Did you check the plugs and find one all wet and black? Also, with a bad head gasket, you would have low compression in that cylinder. Do you have access to a compression tester?

Comment

Take off the crossmember and see it oil is inside the pipe.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My bet's on mystery leak. I've had leaks from side panels drip down from those seams... the oil drips off the bottom of the bracket. Turned out to be a leaky seal between the stator cavity and the starter motor.

The only way to truly track down an oil leak is to really clean things off and powder it up. You can end up chasing oil demons for months if you just start pulling things apart. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      I think if that much oil were coming through an exhaust valve and collecting in the exhaust (assuming that cylinder is actually firing), it would be smoking like a Hollywood fog machine.

Clean the engine and exhaust really well, I mean scrub it down good with simple green and a brush. Dry it off with a fan. When it is completely dry (generally overnight), lightly dust the engine and exhaust with talcum powder. Start the bike, let it run for a while (five minutes idling won't hurt anything), then shut it off. Use a fan on a light setting to blow the powder off. Examine closely any areas where the powder is stuck to the engine.

You'll find your leak.

Whoa, that's a damn good idea! Well played, sir.

Comment

You might find Gremlin tracks that way too.

Comment

Well, here's where the fun begins! I took off the exhaust and looked in the pipe. There is definitely oil in there. So it looks like I will be replacing some gaskets. I also noticed that 1 of the spark plugs had oil on it. I have never replaced a head gasket. ( I'm assuming that's what I need to change. ) However, I will search through the posts. I'm sure there are detailed instructions on here somewhere I just want to say thank you to all of you who gave me some ideas on what to check. I always appreciate it.

Comment

Man if that bikes been sitting for a long time, and you've just got it running and it's only firing on two cylinders, you'll probably have a problem like that. I know my bike leaked and shot oil everywhere when I got it running after sitting for 3 years and it was only firing on one coil. Make sure all four cylinders are firing.

Once I got all four cylinders firing on my bike and got it out and rode it for a bit, it stopped all the oil pumping out pipes and the headers. When I first noticed it doing this, I was worried it had bad rings, or bad valve seals. But, it doesn't do it anymore, at all.....after i repleaced the valve cover gasket and half moons, it only has a couple leaks now, and those are from the tach gear and the cam chain tensioner.

Comment

possible has stuck rings from sticking, put some sea foam in the oil and ride it softly then change it after a while

Comment

I contacted our dealer/mechanic here in my area and he said it was 6 hours worth of labor to change the head gasket and not worth the time to do it unless it was a family heirloom! He said that even though the gasket is cheap that it's not worth changing. Is this true. I mean I didn't pay a lot for the bike. However, I would like to get it running. Does it really take that long to do? It doesn't look like it's that complex. Or, will I be getting myself into more trouble than it's worth?

Comment

Working...
                                X