I'm a moron- snapped a pressure plate bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a moron- snapped a pressure plate bolt

I was shimming my clutch springs and i inadvertanley torqued down an already tightened bolt. the head of the bolt snapped off, leaving the rest of it in the hub. I also damaged the cylindrical column, for lack of a better word that the bolt screws into. i think that should be ok, once i get the bolt out- which brings me to my question-

Whats the best way to get that thing out of there? i dont think(hopefully) its too jammed in there since i'm guessing it snapped b/c of excessive pressure between the spring/washer and hub, not becasue it bottomed out. I was going to use a small bit and my drill in reverse to see if i get lucky...

Any suggestions will help as ive never dealt with a broken bolt before.

I'm hoping they will have this bolt at the dealer so i dont have to order it from bike bandit for 1$ and pay 6$ to ship it.

At least I rode 130 miles today before my sabotaging of my bike.

if you are in the toledo area i will weld it out for you. 8) Mark

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Philly....

I'm hoping it doesn't require any welding.

Anybody else have one of these snap?

I located the bolt at a nearby dealer so I will be diving in later tonight, hopefully w/ good results

Comment

Originally posted by Philly_Chris

I located the bolt at a nearby dealer so I will be diving in later tonight, hopefully w/ good results
        I think Hap snapped one.....so you are in good company. I guess that it is more common than you might think.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
          Originally posted by Philly_Chris

I think Hap snapped one.....so you are in good company. I guess that it is more common than you might think.
          I sure did snap one and I was using a torque wrench. I pulled the hub out and was able to get it off using needle nose vice grips. I have come to the conclusion that the bolts need to be changed every once-in-awhile because the constant loading and unloading caused by the engagement and disengagement of the clutch weakens the bolts making them easy to snap. The bolt is not bottomed out so there is a very good chance you can get it out like I did. Go ahead and replace them all. Once I looked at all of them I realized that they were all slightly bent. I have heavy duty clutch springs in mine so that did not help the life of those bolts either.

Hap

Comment

You snapped a pressure plate bolt and you call yourself a moron. What do you call someone who destroys a totally good alternator rotor with the slip of a hammer???

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
              You snapped a pressure plate bolt and you call yourself a moron. What do you call someone who destroys a totally good alternator rotor with the slip of a hammer???
              You call him Scotty?

I figure that if you don't break something every once in a while you're not really learning anything! I can't tell you how many things I have gillflirted over the years....

Hap

Comment

Woo hoo, got it out with a drill bit and an Easy out...

put everything back together and the bikes power feels much better. No slipping at higher rpms. The engine (and its rider) sound happier.

Took a little detour but wound up getting the bike where i wanted it to be.

Its not doing wheelies, but I definitely notice a difference with the extra washer on each spring. More of my power is going to the wheel.

Comment

Don't feel bad.... I snapped 3 of those bolts today, using a torque wrench. I was able to drill them out. The Q & A's on this site sure pulled my bacon out of the fire on this one.

83 GS750ED

Comment

Working...
                  X