Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Questions by newbie

Hi guys,

currently pulling the forks down on my first GS in a long time, which I bought a couple of weeks ago. I need to replace the fork seals as one of them is leaking, and will be checking all the internals along the way.

I am a complete mechaical novice, and this is the most major mechanical thing I have ever undertaken! Have found some great advice on here through the search feature as well as BassCliffs site, but have a couple of pressing questions:

The bike is a 1980 GSX750ET

1. Damper Bolts - can anyone tell me the correct size hex socket to fit this bolt? I know that I don't have the right size at the moment and want to be sure to buy the right one. 6mm?

2. The bolts on these forks are badly rounded so it is difficult to tell what the correct size is, and even when I get the correct size hex, they are so badly mauled that I doubt it will work. Have ordered some replacement bolts. I have no idea how I could get them out. Any suggestions for trying to get a recessed one of these out which has a pretty much rounded off head? They are both in the same condition

3. The forks have light pitting which may or may not have contributed to my seal leaking (if it wasn't them it soon will be!) I'm not going to have the money to have them rechromed for some time. WOuld something like steel wool be ok to try and smooth it out in the meantime, or would steel wool be too harsh and damage the chrome further?

4. Embarassing question (correction - more embarassing ) Do the dust caps on the fork just pop off, like with a screw driver wedged under?

Any help appreciated

anyone?

Comment

1. 6mm is correct
      2. You're going to learn some skills on this. If they're so rounded off the allen wrench won't grip, I think you'll have to get a small chisel and make a straight head out of the bolt top and try a screwdriver to remove it. Don't forget you have to hold the other side. To replace, it's a common bolt, just get two at Ace Hardware.
      3. Steel wool and lots of rubbing may clean them up enough, If not, they'll just tear up your seals again
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks Big T, much appreciated

Will give the chisel a go and get rubbing on those tubes!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Ricko19,

Wow, I'm really slacking. You've got 10 posts already and I have yet to slip you the "mega-welcome".

Here is your official "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome BassCliff Have been scouring your pages for a while now, and newbies like me would be a lot more hopeless without them - good job!

This is one of the most informative forums I have ever been a part of - wish they were all this good - some others should look and learn

Great to see so many passionate people

Comment

If you can't get the damper bolts out with your new allen socket, you'd be better off drilling the head of the bolt off. That way you can disassemble the forks and get a pair of vise grips on the remaining shaft of the bolt to remove it.

You'll probably need some new washers as well as damper bolts with this method.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks Hillsy - had considered that as a last resort, but I'm pretty dangerous with power tools, so will try other methods first

Comment

The damper bolts are an oddball thread and are NOT available anywhere else. You can get new ones from Suzuki for under $2 each.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    If you can't get the damper bolts out with your new allen socket, you'd be better off drilling the head of the bolt off. That way you can disassemble the forks and get a pair of vise grips on the remaining shaft of the bolt to remove it.

You'll probably need some new washers as well as damper bolts with this method.
                    This would be the fastest, easiest and safest way especially when working with an allen head bolt. The drill will naturally center itself. If it's a 6mm bolt then use a 6mm drill bit and only drill down the depth of the bolt head so as not to damage the aluminum underneath. If it's not quite far enough you can usually pop the head off by sticking the shank of the drill bit in the hole and giving it a sideways tug or carefully drilling a touch further. You're going to need new bolts anyway.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Just a quick question when using the 0000 steel wool on the forks - is it used dry or with some sort of liquid? If so what? Oil?

cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X