Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

in the dark because my high beam won't work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the dark because my high beam won't work.

Hello all,

I ride a 79 GS 550L.

Recently on a night ride home, I went to turn on my high beam- hit the switch and my head lamp went completely dark. Minutes before this, it was working fine.

Now whenever I go to turn on my high beam when I hit the switch, the headlamp just turns off. The blue indicator light does not light up either.

Is this due to the lamp or is it a short of some kind? Where do I even start to address this type of issue?

THANKS!

May have just burned out the bulb...Pull it apart and check it out. Alot of of folks upgrade to a Sylvania Silverstar Bulb.....I think that's what it's called........Do a search for headlights.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

+1 on the Sylvania Silverstar Bulb. Inexpensive upgrade.

Comment

i bought some H4 blue bulbs and they are the best light i have seen on a bike yet. they were cheap $ 22 for two of them and only need one so i got a spare. just my opinion. thanks dave

Comment

If you feel comfortable looking at wiring and have a multimeter, you could always just check for voltage at the connectors. That is, if the bulb isn't the problem. It doesn't make sense that the indicator light wouldn't light up if it was just the bulb that was the problem. Unless by fluke both bulbs went at the same time.

Could be a connector that has come apart. Could also be contacts in the switch that have gone bad. By now I'm sure everything will be pretty brittle. I took mine apart and everything inside crumbled in my hands. There's now a Yamaha light switch on my GS.

Comment

If I do go for the bulb would the SYLVANIA SILVERSTAR LIGHT BULBS 9003 HB2 H4 ST/2 be the right one?

I'm going to try looking at the connections and see if any are loose. I'm glad that at least the low light bulb is functioning.

Comment

Checking the bulb is the first priority, but the failure of both dash indicator and the bulb suggests a close look at the switch is in order.

A meter will let you see if the circuit is good, and if there is nothing then you can pull the leasds from the switch and check them, too.

If still nothing you may be able to repair the switch. That means disassembling it, and you do this by putting a large clear plastic bag over everything and then work inside the bag.

That may sound unusual but doing it that way (and the same for any other switch on the bike) will save you a LOT of headaches that follow loss of the tiny parts that normally squirt off into places unknown at the first hint of an escape possibility.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hi,

Since I run with my high beam on most of the time, that's the one that usually burns out. The last couple of bulbs I've replaced have had functioning low beams after the high beam filament toasts.

Be sure to touch only the metal parts of the bulb as you install it. If you touch the glass your fingers will leave prints (and oils) that cause the bulb to run hotter and l decrease longevity.

Yes, that H4ST sounds like the one you need.

They also make motorcycle-specific bulbs, but I don't think they're worth the extra money.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I don't know..therefore, I ask.

Does the high beam indicator cease working when the high beam filiment burns out ? As a idiot light to remind you to change your bulb ?
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hi,

On my bike, no, the high beam indicator will not work if the high beam is burned out. But one time when my high beam quit, it was because a wire broke loose from the socket. In that case the high beam indicator was working, but the high beam itself was not. Hmmmm.

I didn't delve into it too much at the time, I just fixed it. But you would think that the indicator would light only because of the completed circuit with the high beam.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X