Runs rough after engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this later style of carb suffer the effects more severely?[/quote]

Just to throw another penny's worth into this discussion: CV carbs are much more fussy about their air supplies than the earlier slide carbs, and without the jetting being spot on they'll spit and fart all day. I don't know exactly why this is, but someone does and they'll tell us.

Comment

Well, it is back to spitting and farting.

To date,

we have replaced the plugs,

swapped back and forth between a spare set of coils,

grounded the ignitor box, cleaned out the carbs,

turned the air screws down a half turn (the screws were turned out 3 1/2 turns; seems like an awful lot),

checked wiring that could be causing and intermitent problem including kill switch,

replaced the plugs, resealed the air element (which was loose - missing a gasket),

replace the spark plug lead caps,

adjusted float levels.

tightened exhaust headers (there was one small leak)

It is running a bit better, but still spits and farts and runs rough at times. Seems to be worse when the engine warms up. Oh yeah, no.4 sparkplug is sooty, but the rest look fine. I've seen stronger spark, but when comparing to my brothers GS850, they were comparable.

As an aside, when it is running right, the clutch can't hold it. I was thinking about putting a spare Barnett clutch I have, but am reluctant as the springs are bit too strong, my left hand gets cramped after awhile.

Comment

Working...
      X