confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused

Yesterday i got my rebuilt carbs put back on my bike and she was running like a scalded dog. Today went to go out and ride it around a bit to get her warmed up so that i could sync the carbs but now she wont run worth a crap. Problems i've noticed today.

1. she is backfiring through one carb.
    2. she now has smoke coming out of one of the airbox tubes.

Yesterday when i was out riding her it sounded like there was something vibrating in the exhaust. Could this be a baffle , and could that sound be creating the trouble im having with her now.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

confused

Is your ptcock new,not rebuilt? change plugs, chuck old ones if gassed. Try again.also check bowl volume on center stand. should do first.Just some Ideas. SAN

Comment

yeah petcock is a new oem petcock.i'll check plugs tomorrow when i get off work. just dont understand how it can run so good one day and the next day be doing what its doing.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Did you check your intake boots for leaks? Spray some carb cleaner on the boots and see if the idle changes.

Comment

If you have a cold pipe then you probably don't have spark to the cylinder. Check the spake plug cap, they unscrew. Since this is the first thread I will post replies here. From what I have red in this forum, as I am new here , BassCliff is incredibly knowledgeable. I would recommend going to his website and glean what you can off of there, I have.

You need at least three things, gas.spark, compression, to get started, cold pipe, probably no spark.

Comment

You never really know how a bike is going to act until it is completely warmed up. Just idling in the garage while you're working on it isn't enough. After you take her out for a good spirited ride and get it through a heating cycle or two will tell the tale.
            You're probably going to have to try the highest RPM method to get it right. And keep a good eye on your plugs they will tell you everything that's happening in the engine. The sync will help as well.
            Good Luck !!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

yeah i noticed that the plug on the cold pipe side is black.
              I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

If it is black it is fouled. You could try and clean it, as most of us do, but the reality is that carbon can still cause the plug to foul unless you have one of those spark cleaning machine. When I worked on aircraft, we went through quite a process to clean the spark plug. They cost about $75 dollars each. If you drop it, you through it away. On motorcycles, you clean it once, if it works, drive the bike down to the parts store and then buy a new set of plugs as that plug you cleaned will be the first one to give you trouble again. Riding a bike hard to clean a plug is something just causes your bike undue stress.

Comment

Working...
                X