Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550E Carburator Fuel tube

Hey guys, it's been a while....

Been months since i've posted anything in here, good to see that the resources is alive and well!

So this is my first Carb rebuild. After i got them all back together the fuel tube (you know the one that goes from one carb to the other) doesn't seem to seal up anymore?!?

i expect that the rubber is just old and shrunk or something like that, so i'm wondering if its a problem to just go pick up some orings at the hardware store or whereever and throw em on. i know that they usually sell the part with the rubber already on, so i guess i thought i should check. (i wouldnt think it matters much HOW its sealed as long as its sealed)

also i've been doing some searching around here and i've noticed that there's a lot of talk about the slides. one of my carbs is ok, but one is just a little "sticky" after the rebuild. (in fact it hasn't improved at all after rebuild) so here i'm wondering how much sliding should i be looking for? if i turn the carb upside down and back over again, the slides tend to stay in the "up" position unless i poke at it a bit with the finger. its not too hard to slide the thing, but shouldn't gravity be enough? maybe i should pull them apart and sand it a bit?

other then that the rebuild went pretty well thanks to the wealth of information here.

thanks for your help!

find a Hydraulic shop in town, take your tube with the old o-rings on it and one of your carbs and they will get you the proper durometer/size o-rings........

Comment

Carb o-rings are available from cycleorings.com. Robert is a member of this forum and sells a complete kit for our bikes. Also sells the intake o-rings if your bike uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
        Carb o-rings are available from cycleorings.com. Robert is a member of this forum and sells a complete kit for our bikes. Also sells the intake o-rings if your bike uses them.
        almarconi:

We already got the parts we need no need to re-order an entire o-ring kit at this point. Don't doubt we can get the two o-rings for the fuel pipe from a hydraulic shop in the area.

The concern we have at the moment is the slides (plunger things) on one carb do not come down like before. We had to replace the gate holder inside this particular carburetor as the screws stripped when we were trying to remove them. Think when we were drilling we might have some crud in there so we will take that one back apart and re-clean that one and see if that helps.

When I do mine I will me using cycle o-rings for mine, but my carbs are good for another season I think
        Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X