Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with shims

Hello Guys,
    I need help i need to find out what shims i need to order.
    Project: 1982 gs 850 L

Here a
    exhaust:
    1- measurement of shim is 2.5 mm- 0.09 in- it say on the back of shim 2.60
    2- measurement of shim is 2.6 mm- 0.10 in- it say on the back of shim 2.60x
    3- measurement of shim is 2.5 mm- 0.10 in- it say on the back of shim 2.65x
    4- measurement of shim is 2.4 mm- 0.09 in- it say on the back of shim 2.60

Intake:
    1- measurement of shim is 2.4 mm- 0.09 in- it say on the back of shim 2.55
    2- measurement of shim is 2.5 mm- 0.10 in- it say on the back of shim 2.60
    3- measurement of shim is 2.4 mm- 0.09 in- it say on the back of shim 2.55
    4- measurement of shim is 2.4 mm- 0.09 in- it say on the back of shim 2.55x

Here are my clearence
    exhaust:
    1- 0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge would not go in
    2-0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge would not go in
    3-0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge would not go in
    4-0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge would not go in

Intake:
    1-0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge whent in but the next size- 0.051mm-0.002 in did not.
    2--0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge whent in but the next size- 0.051mm-0.002 in did not.
    3--0.038 mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge whent in but the next size- 0.051mm-0.002 in did not.
    4- 0.038mm- 0.0015 in- feeler gauge would not go in.

thanks

What are you using to measure the shims? It seems strange that a shim labled as 2.60 would actually measure as 2.4 (most likely an aftermarket shim I suspect).

Since your .0015" FG won't fit into the exhaust side tappets, you need to get your hands on a thin checking shim. Install the thin shim so you can get some measureable clearance and then calculate what shim you need from there.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'd recheck your measurements - what you've measured and what's printed on the shims seems way off. Mostly they are very close and only occasionally about half a size out.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I am using a master feeler gauge not a metric feeler gauge
        it ranges from 0.0015 in-0.038 to 0.025 in - 0.635m.
        would it be easier to buy all the shims according to the sizes that says on the back of the old shims.

Comment

i am using a 6'' composite digital caliper

Comment

Hi,

You've pretty much got the job done now. Good work. I strongly suggest getting a true metric feeler gauge set (one that has gauges in .01mm increments). If my .04mm gauge doesn't fit, I just pop in the next size smaller shim and measure again. It's really that simple. It looks like at least 5 of your valves will need smaller shims. If you can shuffle a few around to other valves you may not need to buy that many. The 'x' size shims are great for 'dialing in' those oddball clearances.

With the information you've given us, you are going to need at least 1@2.50, 3@2.55, and 1@2.60. The other 3 intake valves are probably pretty close to needing new shims too. You can't really tell how close because your feeler gauge set is not in .01mm increments.

So far, so good. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hello bass,
              can you give me your e mail address so i can send you a copy of my spreadsheet given me by steve i filled it out but i dont khow what i am doing maybe you can check it and tell me wht i am doing wrong

Comment

my e mail adress is nes07dez@yahoo.com

Comment

Hi,

My email address is in my profile and on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

At the Suzuki shop I worked at ( Parts Manager) a mechanic had a set of shims ground small, he would use them for measuring tight valves. This gave him a baseline for measuring and usually it only had to be measured once. We never threw shims away (unless they had visible damage). A micrometer and a bunch of shims can usually give you the one you need.

Comment

Neff,

I finally got a chance to look at the spreadsheet that you sent me. Sorry, but you entered all the values in the wrong spaces. That is why you got weird suggestions on the shim sizes. I am correcting that and sending it back to you.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve

Comment

Working...
                        X