sputtering at high speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sputtering at high speeds

My bike still is doing the same stuff i thought it was fine.The shop told me one of the carbs is still dirt and hard to clean?but my bike runs fine around 70mph and under but when i give it full throttle and go past 70 it sputters and clears out and keeps doing that but seems fine when i dont go so fast?
    I still feel like i got screwed on the deal since i got my bike cause i traded a running and driving 1990 GMC EXT CAB 1500 for this bike and i bet he had no problems when this bike has almost been a lemon since day one.

Also it does seem to pop alot when driving and idling but it did that since day one.i almost feel like putting the stock exhaust and air filter on it.to see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2009, 07:59 PM.

I have had the exact same issue with my 81 GS1000GL. Take a look at my threads related to airflow to the carbs. Some GSers gave some excellent advice. I was told I either needed to lose the pods or fabricate a sheild to prevent inconsistent windflow. Let me know how you make out.

Mike

Comment

My 650 did it, i tweaked the idle mixture half a turn leaner and it went away, cant explain it.

Comment

Do you know for certain if the carbs have been re-jetted to compensate for the mods on your bike ? Have you looked at your plugs to see if your lean or rich ?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks RedMike ill take a look at your threads.
          Where is the idle mixture screw located i see this screw underneath my carbs but it seems to adjust the idle.I wanna take a look at my plugs tommorow last time i checked them out they were tan.The owner i traded my truck for said the carbs were re-jetted and synced but he just said that nothing was in paper.

Comment

Could be ignition or carbs.
            Need more info to troubleshoot
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

I would humbly suggest that you learn how the machine works so that you can fix it. I hope this helps.

Carb Specs-Float Height-Jetting
              CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide
              (Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)
              (Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ya i know once i get a little cash again i wanna get a service manual for my bike.

Comment

Working...
                X