V&H Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H Noise...

How do I quiet down a V&H 4 into 1 system. Do they make replacement baffles. I have no idea model pipe.

HELP

Repack the baffle (silencer)

How old is the pipe?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I considered doing this at one time. Ended up finding a nice exhaust instead.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

In the past, V&H sold replacements, if they still make the pipe, they probably still sell the parts. Fabricating a baffel isn't that big of a deal. Someone here has just done one in the past week or so.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

what does your pipe look like, if it comes out to the right side of the bike and is a straight shot out to the rear of the bike then it's a drag pipe, no baffle made for it. If it comes out from under the bike to the side then it should have a baffle. go to a bike shop and buy some packing for it if it's too loud for ya. Remember, Postapic, your easiest way to info for a quick way to get feedback. But all pipes aren't like that, I'm thinking V&H

Comment

If you want to know if it has a baffle just look in the end of the pipe.
            Posplayr packs his own pipes.
            That sounds funny
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I don't know the age or model. All was installed by PO. Here are some pics if someone has some more info.

Thanks again

Comment

It looks like a street megaphone. Mine has a hex nut on the wheel side. If yours does you should be able to pull the baffle and check it out. I have not had mine out before so I am not sure if there is supposed to be any packing in there or not. Maybe someone who has had one open could chime in.
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I don't remember seeing that nut I have to check. Meanwhile any more suggestions would be helpful.

Comment

I have a V&H on an 80 GS1100E and it has the hex nut to remove the baffle and glass packing inside. I remove the glass from all my pipes because they hold moisture and rot the pipe if you dont ride far enough. That doesnt answer your question but I thought they were too quiet stock. I have a 26 year old RC Engineering pipe on an 82 GPZ750 thats still good because I took the glass out. If you want quiet look for Supertrapp pipe, you can control noise with the # of discs. They have the same packing problem though

Comment

I found the retaining nut yesterday and tried removing the baffle. It would not come out. Pipe is a little dinged up from PO (I swear it wasn't me).

I like the steel wool pack idea. I try and pull that baffle again when I have more time and a slide hammer.

Any further ideas or wisdom will be accepted.

Comment

Take the muffler off and stick a broom handle or anything that fits up in there and hold the muffler up and hit the broom handle stock in the inlet side on the ground. It will come right out

Comment

I as recently as TWO thanksgivings ago ordered a replacement baffle and it came pre-packed from BIKE BANDIT for a VH pipe...they are still made and sold...

Comment

Working...
                          X