Valve Tappet too Small 1.6-1.8mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roland View Post
    (Measurements are between the two numbers smaller number fits, bigger number does not)
    Exhaust
    #1 = 2.50mm Shim, Gap .15-.18
    #2 = 2.60mm Shim, Gap .08-.10 (.09)
    #3 = 2.60mm Shim, Gap .13-.15 (.14)
    #4 = 2.55mm Shim, Gap .08-.10 (.09)

Intake
    #1 = 2.00mm Shim, Gap .10-.13
    #2 = 2.70mm Shim, Gap .06-.08 (.07)
    #3 = 2.90mm Shim, Gap .06-.08 (.07)
    #4 = 2.70mm Shim, Gap .04-.05
    Hi Mr. Roland,

With the shape your cam journals/caps are in, I guess I would be satisfied with your results. The one exception would be the #3 exhaust, that's a little looser than I would run. If you stuck a 2.65mm shim in there, theoretically it would bring the clearance to .09mm.

Like Mr. posplayer said, perhaps you've bought yourself some riding time but I wouldn't count on it as a permanent solution. I can't guess how long the upper end of your motor will last like that. But these motors are very durable and can take a lot of abuse.

You've done good work. I hope your efforts pay off with a very long riding season.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Persistance will pay off

O.K. it seems pretty unanimous that I have gotten it this close so I should go ahead and at least get the #1 & #3 Exhaust a bit closer

I don't think my local shops have what I need but I will check. If I am going back to the store to pick up a 2.55x for #1 & a 2.65x for #3 exhaust I might as well buy another one for #1 intake and have it ground to 2.05 which should bring it to .05-.08.

I did check the compression and guess I should have reported on that a long time back I am getting the following:
      #1 = 136, #2=117, #3=115, #4=120

Comment

While doing my search for my missing shim sizes, I came across a diagram to help track the valve adjustments.
        Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Our member "Steve" has a good Excel program for that need.
        True enough.

If you are interested, send me an e-mail (address is in my profile) with a request and I will send you a copy. I like the diagram, too. Might help with the visual part, then transfer the numbers to my spreadsheet.

By the way, good luck trying to find X shims at the shop. If they have to order them, they can't be ordered, as far as I know. Your best bet is to see if the shop will exchange shims with you for a small fee. When trying to consider whether a fe is reasnable, keep in mind that new shims are available from Z1 for $5.28, and will allow you to build a small inventory for later adjustments.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought it was unanimous that the head was junk.
          Good luck
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Please let know when it fails so we can say "told you so" Dan

Comment

O.K. it seems pretty unanimous that I have gotten it this close so I should go ahead and at least get the #1 & #3 Exhaust a bit closer
              Oops, I didn't notice that #1 exhaust was so loose. Yes, tighten that up with a bigger shim (2.55 or 2.60) if you can. I agree with Mr. Steve, the 'x' sizes are hard to find.

But keep your eye out for a new engine, or at least a new head. Keep us informed.

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Respect the Classics

Chef you are so negative. How about "O.K. but be extremely cautious for the next 500+miles and keep in mind that your summer may be cut short with head issues."

Dan you are negative to the MAX!! WOW!! That was not the type of helpful advice I was hoping for on the forums. So this winter when I do the complete engine overhaul and I report that I was able to eek out a 3000-4000 mile riding year then will you still say "I told you so"

What I have tried to explain since the thread started is that as I understand the problem, I am endeavoring fix them. If the problem is such that I can't fix it then I will replace what is necessary. To that extent the scarred journal cap could not be repaired unless I milled the cap to allow the insertion of a milled insert. That would be most difficult but possible and I found some detailed instructions where it was done. In this case it was much easier to replace thanks to Nessism sending me a perfect fit. Thus I replaced the journal and measured everything very meticulously to insure it was a proper match. The lower journal was only slightly scarred up of which I was able to correct with about 2 hours of very light sanding and polishing. Ther is no metal or shavings and the amount of time was due to my maticulous work to insure it was done right.

I am here and I can see and feel the smoothness and I have tried with extremely close up pictures to relay those details to you all as it seems you all are as passionate about these bikes as I am. (I love the old things)

I am extremely confident that when I finish with these cams the bike will run exceptionally well and give me another great riding season.

Some day when I get the time, I will post a biography of this bike and its restoration after sitting idle for over 6 years to a bike that is ridden 6-7 days a week from mid Feb~Late Dec. Like did you guys know that Chris Vetter and his Wife were still alive and selling parts? I purchased the windshield for the ferring directly from the guy that brought fairings to the US.

Comment

Good luck to you Roland, and I think I speak for the entire GSR in hoping you get lots of extra mileage out of your bike.

The trepidation expressed by some here is based on sound principle. That cylinder head of yours has some very serious wear. The reason valve shims are not offered in sizes smaller than 2.15 is because Suzuki knows that use of such a shim indicates an extremely sunk valve. Either the valve is mushroomed and smashed , the valve is severely sunk into the valve seat, or the cam journal is worn to the point where the cam has moved closer to the valve. In all of these cases the engine is on borrowed time and mechanically sympathetic GSR members (and I count myself as one) advocate fixing the bike properly, not sticking a bandaid on it. That said, I respect your desire to get some more ride time from the bike and salute your efforts. As said before, I suggest you get a clean used cylinder head off ebay - that's what I did recently for an engine when I found excessive wear inside. Machining the cam journals is a waste of time when the valve seats are sure to be worn and good cylinder heads can be had for less than $100 shipped.

Good luck and keep us posted on how long the engine lasts.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

QUOTE=BassCliff;1023550]Oops, I didn't notice that #1 exhaust was so loose. Yes, tighten that up with a bigger shim (2.55 or 2.60) if you can. I agree with Mr. Steve, the 'x' sizes are hard to find.

But keep your eye out for a new engine, or at least a new head. Keep us informed.

BassCliff[/QUOTE]

If you need help with an "X" sized shim let me know, I'm sure I have one that will work.
                    check out the Shim Club thread in my sig. Ray
                    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Roland, I am helping you. And here is my help.
                      1979 Suzuki GS750 GS 750 Motorcycle Head assembly

I don"t believe in hack jobs, this is how the term "previous owner" has become a negative thing. In the time you have spent fiddling with it I would have already R&R the head and would be going down the street with no worries. Replacing a head is easy. Dan
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                        Roland, I am helping you. And here is my help.
                        1979 Suzuki GS750 GS 750 Motorcycle Head assembly

I don"t believe in hack jobs, this is how the term "previous owner" has become a negative thing. In the time you have spent fiddling with it I would have already R&R the head and would be going down the street with no worries. Replacing a head is easy. Dan

Buy It Now price of $20! Can't beat that.

Gasket kit available here... https://www.partsnmore.com/motorcycl...ory=gasket_set
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

[QUOTE]Buy It Now price of $20! Can't beat that./QUOTE]

Wow that is a great deal, wish I could use it on my bike. For that price it is worth purchasing it as a spare.

Comment

Roland,
                            You may want to check the shim club for the "X" sizes. I just sent one in that was a "X" in that range, but I can't remember the exact size.

Good luck to you with this. Some people are lucky and can get a repair like this to run forever. It chaps some of us with no luck.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I'm not negative just realistic. I honesty do mean good luck when I say it.
                              I just know how it's going to end.
                              Please read my posts and then come back and tell me I have an attitude problem.
                              I really only want to help and maybe get a few laughs.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. chef1366,

Hey Bill, not to worry. Mr. Roland hasn't been around long enough to know that you really are a big, sweet guy, all the way down to your chewy marshmallow center!

BassCLiff

Comment

Working...
                                X