Why won't it idle???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why won't it idle???

my 80 gs1100 has a 4-1 and pods and I can't for the life of me, get it to idle. I have rebuilt the carbs 3 times, it has all new o rings too. The rest of the bike isn't done yet so a road test is out of the question.
    My settings are needle 2nd from the top, 117.5 mains, 160 air jets, 47.5 pilots and mixture screw set to highest idle, about 3 turns out. #1 plug looks fat while 2-4 seem a little lean. Are my base settings off? I'm not a novice when it comes to bikes but can't seem to fix this one.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Still hopeful of a response.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I think you need to post more info. Where did you start from on the needles, main jets, idle jets and did you make sure the idle jets circuits are clean? Since the plugs are giving different readings either you have an air leak, or different compression on each cylinder. What does cylinder 3 look like? Goes over everything again because that is really all you can do and do a compression check. Maybe a valve isn't seating all the way (did you adjust the valves?). Good Luck!

Comment

The bike came with this setup in the fall when I bought it. It was running great, but I thought the carbs could always due with a cleaning. Then the problems began. I know the carbs are clean and the compression good.

Paul

Comment

Then it sounds like you may have created a new problem, when you cleaned the carbs. It is probably something simple. If it was running great you should not have had to make any adjustment changes. Make sure you didn't pinch an intake O-ring. Spray around the carb intakes to see if the idle changes. This is harder with pods but still doable if you use the little straw that comes with the cleaner.

Redo all idle adjustments making sure your gentle with the scew or the tips will break off in the venturi's. If you took the carbs off of the tree then you will have to resynch them.

Comment

Are your vent lines clear?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

vents are clear.

Comment

Working...
              X