Vacuum alignment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum alignment problem

I am currently fixing a 1982 GS550L. Last year, I bought carb kits and totally overhauled my carbs. This forum was very helpful on how to do that.
    Even then, i still had an idle that was high and sparatic. This spring, i took off my carbs, and found a hole in the boot. I fixed it, and i'm trying to ballance my carburators. However,

The left three carburetors are pulling a vacuum of nearly nothing (like, .5 to .3 on my monometer) and the right most carb is pulling 10. Like, 10 times the vacuum than the others. I looked inside my float and it looks real clean. I checked the float level, and it is at the proper hight. Re-checked air leaks by spraying wd-40, and got nothing.

I can tell that my idle problem is now stemming from that one carb, because when the monometer surges on the one carb, so does my bikes idle.

Is there anything that could cause this problem? I tried searching, but I can't really find anything.

Thanks!

Sounds like a bench sync that went awry. OR valves that are WAY out of spec.

Comment

When you turn the synch adjust screws nothing happens?
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        When you turn the synch adjust screws nothing happens?
        Yea, I adjust the screw way out or in, it stays the same.

Comment

Did you bench sync ? Is the screw in good shape ? It may be a mechanical issue where the screw isn't doing it's job and it's not adjusting anything.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Did you bench sync ? Is the screw in good shape ? It may be a mechanical issue where the screw isn't doing it's job and it's not adjusting anything.

The carbs are on my motorcycle while i'm syncing them. The screw looks to be in good shape, and the brass/rubber inside the carb looks clean.

Comment

Originally posted by yafan View Post
              The carbs are on my motorcycle while i'm syncing them. The screw looks to be in good shape, and the brass/rubber inside the carb looks clean.

Are you sure you are using the right screws to try and synch? There are 3 of them. They have a small slot in the top of them with a set nut at their base. You loosen the set screw and adjust. If you are using the right screws, then it sounds like you need to pull the carbs and see what is going on. changing the adjustment on the synch screws should make the slides inside the carb go up and down. If nothing is changing when you move those three screws you have a problem somewhere. Maybe with the linkage or with the screws themselves.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
              X