Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cyclanders #2 and #4 are not firing at all

Hello all

I have a 81 Gs850gl and Yonker and I installed a new Dyna S on it today and it runs and drives great. but the problem is I cant seem to get it to go over 4-5k RMPs no matter what I do if I give it WOT or not it still hits a wall. the bike wont go over.

So I check the plugs by pulling the plug wires on all of them and on #2 and #4 there was no change in RPM. I took both of them out at the same time and the bike was running fine.

Also I took out plug on cyclender #2 and put it in plug wire and set it on the side of the bike to see if I get spark and it gives me spark then. but once I pull it out of the bike it is wet. so what should I do?

What I have done to the bike.

rebuilt carbs(intake o-rings and o-ring kits for carbs)
    new battary
    Dyna S ignition
    new plugs
    It came with Accell coils from PO
    I tested to see if maybe the wire was bad by switching #2 with #1 and there was no change #2 was still not firing
    just finished doing coil relay mod.
    New R/R from PO

What is next?

Thank you
    Jake
    Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM.

First normally the left coil (as you sit on the bike ) feeds cyl 1&4 Rt coil feeds cyl 2&3 so make sure the wires are on correctly

Comment

You would need to switch #2 with #3, or #1 with #4 I think. If you switch #1 with #2, neither should fire.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        You would need to switch #2 with #3, or #1 with #4 I think. If you switch #1 with #2, neither should fire.
        well I was testing the wire. I dont really see why my test didnt work? but please explain if I am missing somthing.

and yes the coils are wired up right. if they wernt the bike would most deffinatly not rum smoothly.

Keep em coming guys

Jake

Comment

The firing order is 1-2-4-3, and the bike is running a wasted spark system. So 1 and 4 fire at the same time and are fed by one coil, as do 2 and 3, which are fed by the other. If you swap 1 and 2, they will both fire near BDC on the compression and exhaust strokes instead of near TDC.

Comment

The firing order is 1-2-4-3, and the bike is running a wasted spark system. So 1 and 4 fire at the same time and are fed by one coil, as do 2 and 3, which are fed by the other. If you swap 1 and 2, they will both fire near BDC on the compression and exhaust strokes instead of near TDC.
            I know that is why I swapped the wire entirely. I unplugged the wire from the plug and the coil on both then plugged them in eachothers spots. I would be in big trouble if I didnt know how things fire I am only asking this questions cause I am totally all out of ideas.

Jake

Comment

My apologies. I should have realized with the Accell coils you were swapping the whole wire.

Are the pipes for #2 and #4 cold? If so, do they stay cold when when you rev it a bit? You rebuilt the carbs - have you sync'd them?

Comment

I just dont understand how it would not fire on thos 2 cyclanders there must be something wired up wrong.

I put on the dyna
                I plugged the red wire into the rear break light
                the white into the white from the plug from the ignitor
                the black to the black with white from the ignitor
                then did the coil relay mod(I triple checked the mod to make sure I did it right.)

should I plug the red wire from the dyna into the orange and black with yellow instead?

Jake

Comment

My apologies. I should have realized with the Accell coils you were swapping the whole wire.

Are the pipes for #2 and #4 cold? If so, do they stay cold when when you rev it a bit? You rebuilt the carbs - have you sync'd them?
                  its all good dude I am just frustrated so I may come off like a jerk.

colder I wouldnt put my face on them but they are most certainly not hot like the others not even close.

I havent try'ed feeling them after I rev it. but the white smoke/raw fuel coming from the left exhaust just gets worse when I rev it. if that answeres your question.

I kinda am thinking that the carbs are not the issue only because there is a lot of fuel on the plug when I pull it so I bet it is fine. but could be wrong.

I guess I dont know how new the accell coils are. I know that they dont make them any more. but I dont know how old they are.

Jake
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

This is a wierd scenario but Mike might have a point here. When I put the timing light on I couldn't even see TDC . What does this tell us? I am pretty certain we wired the Dyna per instructions. So I think that part is ok. All the pipes get hot....some seemed hotter than others.

Comment

Maybe the plug wires are not making connection inside the cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdiver View Post
                        Maybe the plug wires are not making connection inside the cap?
                        well that wouldnt be true because I switched the plug wires but maybe the coils connector is not working

Comment

Working...
                        X