Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chain it tight AND loose. Is this possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
    I had the same problem on mine ever since I've owned it . 3 sets of sprockets and 4 chains (Tsubaki or RK) have been thru it and all did the same thing. When I changed to a 17" rim the tight spot was gone. Turned out the origional rim had a machining flaw where the cushion drive is; just enough to drive me batty trying to figure out what the heck was going on all this time.
    I just don't let it bother me. To adjust the chain, I put the bike on the centre-stand, turn the wheel until I find the tightest spot, make note of the relationship between the bottom of the tire to the ground, and then roll the bike off of the centre stand. I then roll the bike back to where I noted the bottom of the tire was to the ground. I then sit on the bike and check the chain tension and adjust from there if necessary. I rarely ever have to adjust the chain on my GS, as I put on an O-Ring chain.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
      I don't think I've ever seen a bike with a perfectly even taut chain. There always seems to be tight and loose spots. Not so much on a new chain and sprocket set, but there still will be a difference. 8)
      Exactly correct...even with new chain and sprockets.

Comment

I thought I'd post this one for Nick as this guy obviously needs a talking to about shafts. :P

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by roygang
          Sounds just like he situation with the GS I just picked up a few months back. Did new chain solve the problem (or did you also go new sprockets)?
          The new chain fixed it! it is 100% better.
          Thanks!

Comment

Belt drive?

Does anyone know of a belt-drive system available for the GSes, like what you can get on a Harley? Would it be advantageous enough to do a conversion?
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
            X