z1000 carb boot seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z1000 carb boot seals

I bought a set of z1000 carb intake boots from ebay [$6 for the set!] to replace the crapped-out boots on my '79 1000.

The boots are not designed to mate with an o-ring. I have a rubber sheet [above left], about 2 mm thick, that is of either viton or nitrile. Anyone see a problem with making gaskets with this?

Hi Mr. smagnusen,

IF the rubber is Viton, maybe you can make some gaskets with it. You might also need a high-temperature, petroleum resistant gasket sealer. If it's Nitrile they will certainly fail. You can't go wrong with ordering the right parts from Flatout, they've got the best price (~$22/ea.). I just ordered a set and am hoping to install them soon.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You shouldn't need to do anything. The Kawi boots have a built in ridge on the mating surface that act as a gasket. I have them on my 1000. You will also need to enlarge the hole because the Kawi hole pattern is 2mm less. I just drilled them slightly bigger.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        You shouldn't need to do anything. The Kawi boots have a built in ridge on the mating surface that act as a gasket. I have them on my 1000. You will also need to enlarge the hole because the Kawi hole pattern is 2mm less. I just drilled them slightly bigger.
        There ya go. I knew there was something special about the Kaw boots, I just couldn't remember. I'll have to write it down next time....or search the forum. Thanks Mr. renobruce.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The early 750's used a simillar boot. without an O ring

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            The early 750's used a simillar boot. without an O ring
            Yes - and if I remember correctly they were fitted with a paper gasket.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The rubber is still supple enough, but I somehow just don't believe they will self-seal - I'll have to take another look at them. There seems to be some paper-gasket residue in parts, and you can see in the picture the outline from where the rubber is permanantly compressed. Because the mating surface is no longer perfect, I'd feel better about using gaskets.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X